Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cams and Heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:47 AM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cams and Heads

Yeah I'm debating between the X-Charger and the ProCharger because they seem to put out the most torque. the X-charger puts out insane amounts of torque!! But if I decide to do cams and heads then it'll be a little longer... So many things to do... lol
Old 11-17-2006, 02:00 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

If you're going to do heads and cams with the intention of going FI in the future you should also save up and put in forged internals to handle more boost, and if you are going to do that you might as well do the stroker kit! Imagine a FI Stroker motor with ported heads and agressive cams! 400rwhp V6 baby!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 AM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

Newb Question!! What's the stroker kit?? lol!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:50 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

just a note. it so far hasnt been proven neccasary that you need to build the motor to run any of the f/i systems. You will need this however when you up the boost plus it could be a layer of safety. I plan on going built motor myself this summer when my truck is out and ready to go for the summer time.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:50 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

stroker kit=more displacement=more room for more air and gas=more power

on the topic-i think heads and cams would be a good investment once F/I or right before. Would definetly enhance the power with every mod you put on the motor most likely....even though don't know how much further you could go after f/i heads and cams!

ORIGINAL: AmericanMade

Newb Question!! What's the stroker kit?? lol!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:52 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

If you're going to do heads and cams with the intention of going FI in the future you should also save up and put in forged internals to handle more boost, and if you are going to do that you might as well do the stroker kit! Imagine a FI Stroker motor with ported heads and agressive cams! 400rwhp V6 baby!

yeah, but if ur gonna go X-Charger whats the point of bothering with forged internals as you won't be able to up the boost as theirs no aftercooler. But i could understand just putting in lower compression pistons(forged that is) to increase the boost, might as well upgrade the weakest link while your in their. With the combination of X-Charger, Heads/Cams, 8.8 compression pistons i wouldn't expect it to make anything more than 340-350wph at BEST at the Hi-pro psi of 8-9psi? not sure which psi the hi pro uses.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Okay guys I know this is a odd concept... Try and step away from the pre fabbed turbo kits here. If your shooting for big numbers your obviously going to have to do some custom work. Instead of going procharger, xcharger, blah. Build your own turbo setup. Choose a good garrett gt ball bearing turbo. Choose a good intercooler for the correct size, piping is simple to do or you can have someone do it for you for a couple hundred. From their you get a larger fuel pump about 100$ and larger injectors. You will need a b.o.v. and a wastegate if your turbo has not included one. Expect to spend 3-5k on the turbo setup alone depending on parts used and how much outside labor is used.

Now if you want to get big number you will need forged internals. I would start with the stroker kit from here
http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=32 . Then move onto doing your camshaft, headstuds, heads. You are going to spend about 10k on this motor. . . so far So i Hope the numbers in your head are closer to 500rwhp. Which is possible it depends on the work you do to the motor. So if you really plan on spending that much money on a stroker kit to go f/i. Please think about swapping motors. Its definetly worth it to get something bigger and more reliable. Remember you jump up in power over 400hp you will need to upgrade to a 8.8/9" rear end, different driveshaft, tranny, and upgrade your suspension.

my information may not be spot on, correct it as you will
Old 11-17-2006, 03:44 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lrgnation

Okay guys I know this is a odd concept... Try and step away from the pre fabbed turbo kits here. If your shooting for big numbers your obviously going to have to do some custom work. Instead of going procharger, xcharger, blah. Build your own turbo setup. Choose a good garrett gt ball bearing turbo. Choose a good intercooler for the correct size, piping is simple to do or you can have someone do it for you for a couple hundred. From their you get a larger fuel pump about 100$ and larger injectors. You will need a b.o.v. and a wastegate if your turbo has not included one. Expect to spend 3-5k on the turbo setup alone depending on parts used and how much outside labor is used.

Now if you want to get big number you will need forged internals. I would start with the stroker kit from here
http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=32 . Then move onto doing your camshaft, headstuds, heads. You are going to spend about 10k on this motor. . . so far So i Hope the numbers in your head are closer to 500rwhp. Which is possible it depends on the work you do to the motor. So if you really plan on spending that much money on a stroker kit to go f/i. Please think about swapping motors. Its definetly worth it to get something bigger and more reliable. Remember you jump up in power over 400hp you will need to upgrade to a 8.8/9" rear end, different driveshaft, tranny, and upgrade your suspension.

my information may not be spot on, correct it as you will
nobody said anything about a turbo. As for fabbing up your own F/I, its too much hassel. If i was gonna fab something up, i would spend the extra doe to get a custom built mainfold for a 2.2 KB Twin-screw S/C. Some of use don't need 500hp.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:00 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

lol who says you need that much? i garuntee when flapjack gets dynoed he hits at least 385 at the wheels. AT LEAST. he put down 364rwhp BEFORE heads and cams! go register on the collective forums and talk to him about head/cam install if you are planning on doing it. he is the only one that has done it so far and he is very knowledgable. i think he may have actually done a write up too.

http://american-speed.com/collective/forums

oh and irgnation...the ph turbo can support something like 650hp...their car is running mid 11's on it and a stock long block. the procharger can handle well into 500 horses with the d1sc unit. If it is big power you want, the ph turbo, the vortech, and the procharger are all good ways to go. the x-charger is more of a street unit that can go to the drags also. it isn't capable of such huge numbers because there is no intercooler option as of yet, but if you are aimin for low 300's and monstrous torque...xcharger and heads will do no wrong, but if you want high 300's+ you are gonna need a centri blower or turbo. any way you go, with the extent you are suggesting you are going to go, you are gonna have a monster!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:36 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Yep, 8cd03gro is right. Flapjack and Gash have done it. Gash is a NA car that has heads, should have a write up today from him and dyno over the next week. Flapjack did the head/cam install himself, his a direct link to his write up:

http://american-speed.com/collective...ead.php?t=3843

Very good write up with pics, list of tools needed, etc.

Quick Reply: Cams and Heads