Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2 Shops said V6s do not need H pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:27 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default 2 Shops said V6s do not need H pipes

Listening to various soundclips, I've decided that duals with an H pipe sounds very good. If sound is the primary concern, I've also heard that an H pipe is the way to go.

One shop told me that only V8's need an H pipe, and duals would be $550.
The second shop said, V6s only need a Y pipe, and duals would be $500.

Two concerns.. one is price. 2 years ago, I put duals on my Dodge Ram, and it was only $360 total, so I thought I could do it around that price.
Secondly, should I do an H pipe, or is the Y fine?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Stang_Heritage07
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2 Shops said V6s do not need H pipes

you can replace the stock exhaust y pipe w/ an H
Old 05-20-2007, 01:37 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

I spoke to someone at ninosport the a couple weeks ago and I believe they mentioned that since the v6 is an even firing engine that the h or x is not really necessary
Old 05-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

I just did the reverse Y when I went with dual mufflers. I heard so many stories about how openingup the exhaust too much on a V6would be bad or back-pressure that I didn't want to chance sacrificing performance just so I could brag about having an H-pipe. I noticed an improvement even with my reverse Y. The stang sounds so much healthier and she breathes much better. She doesn't sound like she is straining anymore during hard acceleration.

FYI, I used a stock GT drivers side over the axle pipe and a set of GT take-off mulers, and the shop fabbed up the other half of the Y-pipe.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: davesyo

I spoke to someone at ninosport the a couple weeks ago and I believe they mentioned that since the v6 is an even firing engine that the h or x is not really necessary
+1. It will sound different, but not necessarily worse with a Y. There is really no point power wise to an H or X in our car.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Hey Pantera 72 ,
I thought you mentioned in another post that you were thinking about going with the y system from ninosoport?? I'm about ready to order it.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

See I'm having a hard time deciding myself. It's either going be the Ninosport, Pypes PerformanceTrue Dual System w/Street Legal x Pipe or GT x-Pipe & Mid Pipe.
I already bought the GT takeoff mufflers.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:48 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanICON

Listening to various soundclips, I've decided that duals with an H pipe sounds very good. If sound is the primary concern, I've also heard that an H pipe is the way to go.

One shop told me that only V8's need an H pipe, and duals would be $550.
The second shop said, V6s only need a Y pipe, and duals would be $500.

Two concerns.. one is price. 2 years ago, I put duals on my Dodge Ram, and it was only $360 total, so I thought I could do it around that price.
Secondly, should I do an H pipe, or is the Y fine?
That's the thing.....so many shops will give you different preferences as well as quotes.
The shop that I plan on using was recommended by my Ford dealer. He told me to use X pipes. If they do all the work it would cost between $400-480. They told me if I get the parts it would be $80 - 100. That's why I am trying to get the best deal and I'm having a hard time deciding.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:25 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

That's strange, when I was heavily involved with 70's German made Ford Capris(with smaller sized Cologne V-6s), the first thing we'd do is put a full length dual exhaust with an H-pipe(stock early version V-6 Capris had duals running underneath, but over the axle the right side pipe would cross behind the diff and meet up next tothe left pipe and exit through a two inlet/two outlet muffler on driver's side). This mod would wake the car up considerably and in conjunction with LTsnecessitated re-jetting the carb(or better yetputting on a larger carb)and re-curving the dizzy to get the most out of the better breathing......I learned the hard way, I blew a head gasket after going to LTs and true duals/H-pipe without re-jetting the carb[&o]( car ran too lean, overheated and kaboom!). I would think a CAI/tune would be needed before improving the single exhaust on S197 6ers
Old 05-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: davesyo

Hey Pantera 72 ,
I thought you mentioned in another post that you were thinking about going with the y system from ninosoport?? I'm about ready to order it.
It might have been me, I don't remember. [:-]I do know I got a complete GT takeoff exhaust off ebay for $80 that helped make up my mind as to what to do.

Quick Reply: 2 Shops said V6s do not need H pipes