Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Is a new DS worth it for a N/A DD stang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default Is a new DS worth it for a N/A DD stang?

I've really been contemplating my next big mod and it was originally going to be headers but thought an aluminum DS might be the better choice with the most benefit. Are any of you that already have one benefitting from the new DS and how much of a difference did it make in performance or driveability. i dont have racing plans and my stang is only for fun on the streets (safe fun). thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is a new DS worth it for a N/A DD stang?

I had a vibration at 70-75 mph that I could not get rid of. I didn't like that the 05 V6 driveshaft has no lock-rings and is heavy at 30 lbs. I had also seen the pictures of the exploded Mustang V6 driveshafts even though I have NO plans of going that fast. Shaftmasters had just starter selling there 4 in. alum. shaft and the price was right($389.00 w/free shipping). The aluminum shaft is 17.5 lbs.,beautifully made and installs easily. The vibration isGONE and it feelMUCH smoother at all rpms. I don't know if the car is fasterbut I brought the Shaftmasters mainly for piece of mind. I like it very much!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

$389 for a 4"?? That is a great price, was that a special price, or is that the regular price? I think that may be my next mod...Either that or a hood.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
JimC

I have the 4" Shaftmasters and it is great for daily driving. No vibration, very smooth acceleration. I had a vibration that the dealer could never feel - but once I changed to the Shaftmasters it was gone. The car is a little quicker too -- both on thehighway when changing lanes,as well as at the track.

Their price has gone up a little due to increased cost of some of the parts I believe, but the price is still a very good deal. If you are lowered though you should go with their new 3.5" shaft - cost is a little bit higher but you won't have any clearance issues.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

how many miles have you run these driveshafts? I am curious how they stand up to the test of time?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

shaftmasters is my online choice if i do get a DS but the local shop that recently did my gear install also sells their own DS for ~$500. more than shaftmasters but they are a good shop that i can always go to if i have issues but i'll decide that when i'm ready. so it seems that performance is not the main difference but rather durability and drive quality. is this accurate? thanks for the feedback fellas.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

If faced with two choices, shorty headers or alum. ds, on an NA car I would choose the alum. ds.
The headers will barely have any gains vs. the price, so the bang for the buck simply isn't there unless you are FI and looking for that last bit of power.
The alum. ds is something that you will feel all the time. Smoother acceleration, less rotational weight is a good thing.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

It says

"Does not require any modifications to vehicles that have been lowered up to 1"!

What about cars that have a 1.5" drop?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:59 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: LASERRED
how many miles have you run these driveshafts? I am curious how they stand up to the test of time?
I have over 15,000 miles on mine - no problems whatsoever. Had it on the lift this afternoon so had a chance to inspect it as well and no problems or issues.

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY
It says
"Does not require any modifications to vehicles that have been lowered up to 1"!
What about cars that have a 1.5" drop?
Shaftmasters also has the 3.5" aluminum shaft for lowered cars. It costs a little more than the 4", but was built with lowered cars in mind. There is some information in the installation instruction about relocating the emergency brake if the car has been lowered, or at least there used to be before the 3.5" shaft came out.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:07 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

That notice was regarding the 3.5" driveshaft... so I am curious if you still have to do some mods even with the 3.5, or maybe its just old info.

Quick Reply: Is a new DS worth it for a N/A DD stang?