Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Grinding 3rd to 5th?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:58 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

Default Grinding 3rd to 5th?

I've got a new V6 problem, wondering if anyone else has seen this. I searched already, but forgive me if I missed an earlier post.

07 V6 5-speed with 22K miles: Back when I bought the car, I discovered that if I shifted 1-2-3-5, I got better gas mileage than using 4th. Starting this week, I can't do that without grinding into 5th.

I checked all the different gear combinations, upshift and downshift, and 3rd to 5th is the only one that I have a problem with. I verified that the clutch is all the way to the floor.

Tried double-clutching from 3rd to 5th, and that works fine. I also tried hesitating - out of 3rd, wait a couple seconds, then into 5th - works fine.

It's almost like the synchronization between the two gears is not working properly. Does anybody think this is a sign of things to come, or should I just go back to shifting the "right way"???

I need to take the car in for that airbag recall, and was thinking about telling them to have a look at this. Anyone else think that's a good idea?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Grinding 3rd to 5th?

ORIGINAL: p51mstg

I've got a new V6 problem, wondering if anyone else has seen this. I searched already, but forgive me if I missed an earlier post.

07 V6 5-speed with 22K miles: Back when I bought the car, I discovered that if I shifted 1-2-3-5, I got better gas mileage than using 4th. Starting this week, I can't do that without grinding into 5th.

I checked all the different gear combinations, upshift and downshift, and 3rd to 5th is the only one that I have a problem with. I verified that the clutch is all the way to the floor.

Tried double-clutching from 3rd to 5th, and that works fine. I also tried hesitating - out of 3rd, wait a couple seconds, then into 5th - works fine.

It's almost like the synchronization between the two gears is not working properly. Does anybody think this is a sign of things to come, or should I just go back to shifting the "right way"???

I need to take the car in for that airbag recall, and was thinking about telling them to have a look at this. Anyone else think that's a good idea?
That is the problem. My 00 V6 didn't start doing that until 100K though

I found in order to avoid the grind (mine did it from 4th to 5th) was as I come out of fourth, move the stick back and forth at least once before moving into 5th. And it was fine.

Since it's going to the dealer, just let them know you're having an issue. Does the same thing happen when going from 4th to 5th? It would be much easier if the same problem occurred then, otherwise they may just tell you, you are driving the car incorrectly.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

It does not happen 4th to 5th. Nor, does it happen when I downshift 5th to 3rd (not that I do it normally, only in testing shift combinations).

If I had 100K on it, I'd chalk it up to wear and tear, and not say anything. But, since it's still under warranty and I've got 100K+ to go before I think about trading it in, I was thinking I should say something.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

No problems here with 4500 miles, but I do shift properly from 1-5. I don't downshift either, I put it in neutral and let her coast.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:05 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

I called the dealer - they're going to look at it. The appointment is Monday, so I'll post in update after I pick up the car.

07Stang... In the past, I always used downshifting to save my brakes, which is did very well. With this new 07 and it's cool computerized dash, I've spent most of my daily commutes thinking about how to get the most bang for the buck.

While coasting to a stop every time may be the best for mileage, I still don't know what is the cheapest overall - seems like the few cents on gas wasted by downshifting might be cheaper than taking 20K miles off my brakes, but the jury's out and doesn't seem to be ready to announce a verdict. I don't know what the rigth answer is - it's something I'm actively questioning.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 PM
bigdaddy0987
1st Gear Member

ya these days you can get a lifetime set of pads for around $30 so in the long run you will save much more by not down shifting but if you figure in the cost of your time to put the pads on it might not be worth it to some people. to me my time is worth at least 50 bucks an hour but no one will pay me that so i reckon its just cheaper to let her coast for me
Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

Tranny tech says that my synchro is going out, and it's primarily because of skipping 4th. That doesn't seem possible, but the guy was pretty sure. They're dropping the transmission today, but it could be a week before I see my car again. Good thing warranty is covering the repair work.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Those ford techs have a knack for deflecting blame from their product. Every problem on my car was my fault or something that I added to the car. There is no way in hell a 3-5 shift would lead to the bearing going. I think they make this S*** up as they go along.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 AM
urnamethere
2nd Gear Member

mine does it all the time but now only from 3-5 but also when i shift from 4th to 5th at high rpm it grinds slightly, at first i thought it was me not pressing the clutch all the way in but its not
Old 07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: urnamethere

mine does it all the time but now only from 3-5 but also when i shift from 4th to 5th at high rpm it grinds slightly, at first i thought it was me not pressing the clutch all the way in but its not
That's exactly what I thought, so I did it again with the clutch pedal firmly on the floor. If you've still got warranty left, I'd take it in.

pat6674u -like most people, I have friends who are stablished, well-regarded mechanics, and I've gotten some goofy looks when I told them what the Ford tech said.

Quick Reply: Grinding 3rd to 5th?