Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Which Prochamber to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Default Which Prochamber to buy?

Just did my tax return today and looks like when I get my cheque I can pay off the rest of my car, woo-hoo! As a celebration, I am looking to get the MAC Prochamber midpipe. However, I cannot find which one I need which allows me to retain my stock headers and cats.

There is this one (MAC website GT page):

05-07 GT 2.5" Direct Fit Pro Chamber to Stock Cats
Part Number: PC2105
Price: 299.50

^^ It says its for the GT but will it work with the V6? *Note I have FRPP dual kit.

And there is also this (MAC website V6 page):

05-07 V6 2.5" Off Road Pipe to Long Tube Headers - Stainless Steel
Part Number: 26605
Price: 299.50

^^ Says for use with longtubes and is O/R (want to keep cats but dont those 2 small pipes replace them. So I dont have to use them, I can keep the cats?)

Arrrgh Im so confused. Which is the one Im looking for?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:11 AM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Default prochamber

Hi there, back when I first got my V6 in early 2007, I bought the prochamber setup you have pictured in your post. The system is specifically designed to work with MAC's V6 version of long tube headers. Their version, however, is a shortened style somewhere between shorty length headers and true long tubes like my Stainless Works. I've read fairly good reviews of this product with guys saying fitment is not so great, and some bad reviews where folks said don't waste your money. If you really want to use the chambered part of this setup, possibly work with a very good exhaust shop that can do custom work and have them fabricate the necessary items to fit in between your stock down pypes behind the stock cats into the front of the prochamber setup. The rub here is that your stock down pypes behind the stock cats is 2 1/4 inch OD and the front slip on portion of the prochamber setup is 2 1/2 inch ID. You'll have to insert pypes that compensate for these diameter differences. One solution is the Stainless Works boys offer a great selection of different size reduction and upsizing connector pypes. These connectors could be clamped or welded in between your stock down pypes behind the cats and then connected into the slip on front connectors of the prochamber pype. Recommendation, think this one through pretty carefully! You're going to have to do some pretty good creations here to make this work with your stock setup. Jack
Attached Thumbnails Which Prochamber to buy?-122_2215.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009, 05:50 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. Hmmmm, very interesting. I hear what your sayin about the different diameter pipes. I thought it would be an issue but my hours of searching seemed to prove otherwise. This is an exerpt taken from somones post on another forum:

"MSP, is this the prochamber you used, w/out the cats? Mac Prochamber

Quoted post

Yes, the ProChamber I have is just the unit itself, fabricated into the system to look like a factory original..

The ProChamber fits our cars better than anything.. Everything lines up perfectly..

The one in the link is perfect.. Get it!! Quick.. Its awsome man... I sure hate the fact that a sound file is not available..

I still have my stock cats on.. I wont remove them until I go with the LT headers later.."

And:

"The setup is basically just running stock cats and the Pro-Chamber!!"

I have a link to the thread but it turned into a monster flaming after the 3rd page and I dunno if you allowed to post links to other forums but I will if all clear.

But from my understanding reading through the thread it seemed like the prochamber fit fine after the cats. I have a good exhaust shop that Im sure can fab something up to make it work but now it seems like its not as simple as originally concieved.

I appreciate your input in the matter, there dosent seem to be a whole lot of people running this set up or have expierience with it.

Any other takers?