Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Getting Gears - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:59 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default Getting Gears - Need Help

I have a 2010 Automatic V6..... I want to upgrade my gears from 3.31 to 3.73 (unless 4.10 would be better, but I hear they're overkill). I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to buy. I've checked around and can get the 3.73s for less than 200 bucks. Here are my questions:

- The websites say that the gears are for Mustangs up to 2009. Is there a difference between the 2009 and 2010?

- They have versions for 8.8" differentials and 7.5" differentials. Which is on the 2010?

- Do I need to buy anything extra besides the gears?

- What is a typical install cost on these?

I HAVE checked the forum (searched) and found a lot of info, but no real answers to the above questions.

Thanks for any info!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

The V6 has a 7.5 differential.
Gears
Installation kit (bearings etc...)
Tlock (posi) not mandatory
Fluid & Friction modifier
You might want to have some shops quote the job with them supplying all materials and with a non whine guarantee.
or you supply the parts, but get that non whine guarantee.

**if you supply the parts and it whines........good luck**
Old 12-02-2009, 02:40 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Originally Posted by discodave
I have a 2010 Automatic V6..... I want to upgrade my gears from 3.31 to 3.73 (unless 4.10 would be better, but I hear they're overkill). I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to buy. I've checked around and can get the 3.73s for less than 200 bucks. Here are my questions:

- The websites say that the gears are for Mustangs up to 2009. Is there a difference between the 2009 and 2010?

- They have versions for 8.8" differentials and 7.5" differentials. Which is on the 2010?

- Do I need to buy anything extra besides the gears?

- What is a typical install cost on these?

I HAVE checked the forum (searched) and found a lot of info, but no real answers to the above questions.

Thanks for any info!

Ok Im no expert on this but I will try to help you out from what I have read. First the 05-09 gears will work on the 10s. I think that our V6s have the 7.5 ends and the GT has the 8.8. Many like to upgrade their 7.5 to an 8.8 (Not really sure what it changes). But unless you change from the 7.5 to an 8.8 you shouldnt need anything besides the gears, if you do get the 8.8 then you need a cobra pinion flange. I am not really sure about the cost of gears or the install but I am pretty sure that you are better off just buying a whole new take off axle from newtakeoff.com or whoever. You can buy the whole 8.8 axle with 3.73 gears and a T-Lok (posi, which our 6ers dont have either) already installed for about $1000 after shipping. If you do that then I think it is a simple bolt on install and is pretty easy. Hope this help. If I was incorrect on anything please let me know.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you do much, if any, highway driving then go for 3.73's. 4.10's would be great if you really intend on a lot of racing from a dig but for a DD I think 4.10's would get old fast.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

3.73's should be the default upgrade. 4.10's are for more specific drivers that want that constant higher revving stang. both are a great choice but it all depends on what the owner wants out of their stang and what fits their driving style.

best to get quotes from good shops that work on gears/diffs/drivetrain. let them supply all the "extras" you will need. its ok to find good gears and posi on your own. there are some online vendors that sell all that you need. their web banners are all over the forums. compare pricing. stay away from Motive and Yukon gears. those will whine more often than not.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

You should ask yourself what the final plan for your car is. If you can answer that question then everyone can give you more of a focused answer on this question. I prefer the option of going with a 8.8 take off rather than building up a 7.5. Typically a gear install with a Tlok will run you around the same as an 8.8 with gears of your choice. The Tlok is one of those things that if your going to do gears you might as well do the Tlok with it to save labor and justify not getting an 8.8 that already has one. I would personally go with 4.10's if you don't plan on going with a turbo in the future. The other option you might want to consider if you decide to keep the 7.5 and build it up is to go with 3.90's. A nice compromise between 3.75's and 4.10's.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:44 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy

After debating it, I chose to upgrade my 7.5 with 3.73 gears and a T-Lok instead of getting an 8.8 GT take off. This was based on knowing I probably won't add a Supercharger and I didn't yet have a shop that I knew well enough to drop ship them an 8.8 rear.

For the Ring & Pinion gears I wanted Ford OEM parts and I found a package at StangMods for $540 that included Ford OEM 3.73 Ring/Pinion, T-Lok diff, and an install kit with bearings, seals, and a bottle of Friction Modifier.
BTW, StangMods listed the Ring/Pinion and T-Lok as Ford parts, but said the bearing install kit was Motive, questionable?. What showed up at my house was a full set of Ford Parts - gears Ford p/n 8L5Z-4209-A and Ford Tlok, but to my suprise so was the bearing/install kit, and actually everything was drop shipped from a Ford Dealer in Georgia.

I just got them installed for a $375 labor charge today, but it literally started pouring rain on the way out the door from the shop, so I'm still itchin' to really get on it, but even with taking it easy in the rain I can feel the difference. After a few days driving, I'll update on how its going. I still need to get the tuner out tonite to change the ratio, however its still raining right now so it might have to wait till the am before work...
Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

If changing from 3.31s to 3.73s does a similar thing in the V6 as it does in the V8, you will definitely notice the difference. Its a nice improvement in performance but at the sacrifice of about 10% of your Highway MPG. In town you will have a choice. Keep the RPM down and you will be the same or a little better. Get on it, and the higher RPMs at any given speed will allow the engine to consume more gas as it produces more power.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Thanks for all the input. I'm always happy for more if anyone else has input.

My ulitimate plan for my car is to get as much power, throttle response, and handling I can out of it without going extreme and putting a supercharger in. I was thinking that after I get the gears I could get the "All Out" Tune I'm hearing so many good things about. I really don't do a lot of highway driving. Most just backroads and highways with lots of stop lights. I'm leaning toward the 4.10s because I know that if I get the 3.73s I will constantly be wondering what the 4.10s feel like.

I'm going to shop around my area and see if I can find someone who does this and really knows their stuff. The last thing I need is the "whine" to start and annoy the heck out of me.

I'll probably just build up what I have since I'm not positive I'll get the T-Loc just yet. I know, I know, it's better, but I'm trying to keep the price down for now. I'll add it later though.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

if your not planning on supercharging then get the 4.10's for sure.

Quick Reply: Getting Gears - Need Help