Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

True Dual Crossmember Hangers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:04 PM
derichio02

Default True Dual Crossmember Hangers?

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a 2010 V6 and I was wondering about the true dual crossmember hangers. I have yet to look under my car but I have heard reports that the 2008-2010 dont come with the crossmember hangers. I ordered the Pypes v6 True duals kit with an x pipe and I will be pairing them with Gt500 take-offs. My question is, if I dont have the crossmember hangers should I invest in them. Is the x pipe that heavy that it could cause damage or destabilization. Any input is appreciated. Also if i need these where can I pick up a set?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I believe that the kit you ordered comes with all that you need for the install! The hanger holes are there already as the car is the same as the gt underneath
Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Those hangers are not required. They are only there to help with exhaust assembly at the factory.

There's even a TSB about cutting off the crossmember hangers for cars that have noise and vibration problems.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
derichio02

Thanks a lot guys I was wondering about that.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I've been researching this for sometime, for my '09 ragtop. I bought the NTO set that uses the take off GT mufflers. They recommend using the hangers. So, I go to a Ford dealer and have them look up the part. I told them he'd have to look on "05 or '06 Mustangs. He couldn't even come up with a part listing. So, next time I'm in Clinton, IL. I go to Anderson Ford, one of the larger Saleen, Shelby, Ford Racing dealers in the midwest. He looks and looks, and can't find anything. He finally figured it out. The only way Ford sells those front hangers, is with the transmission cross member which they are attached too. WOW!!! I told him thanks for the trouble, and didn't even ask what the price was. I'm going to put them on without the hangers, and put a couple of hundred miles on it and see how they are holding up. If they seem to be staying in place, then I'm going to weld everything together and forget about it. If they've moved any shouldn't be hard to modify another set to work. PS Anderson Ford car show will be Aug. 22nd this year. Should be a good one....
Old 05-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

I cut mine off about a year ago. It's been fine.

Actually makes it easer to work on the exhaust for headers and wideband etc. Even cut down on resonance inside the cabin. So now the exhaust sound is mostly out back where it belongs.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I no longer use the crossmember hangers either...they are there, but nekid.
And I tend to agree with Mr.Ugly about a reduction in nvh from not using those hangers.

Although, if my exhaust system needed the extra mid-section support, I'd probably use them.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Okay, I guess I finally got a definitive answer. I sent and e-mail to the Pypes company, from their web site. (DUH) Their instructions state the hangers are to be used. Here's what I sent them: NTO Pypes v-6 to dual system on '09 Mustang. Do I need the front hangers on the cross member, and if so where do I get them? Ford only sells the complete cross support. Can't find one anywhere, don't want to put it on
until I find them or know if I need them. Help PLEASE!!!

And their reply: "You do not need them." Great, now I can get started. It'll be much easier to cut those hanger bars off, BEFORE I put the x-pipe on. Hope this helps, it sure does for me....(e-mail was from MikeZ @ Pypes Exhaust [mikez@pypesexhaust.com]
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
derichio02

Helps me too thanks for all the replies guys
Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 PM
SkippyShoeTwos

That helps me too TWstones I appreciate the research. Thank You.

Quick Reply: True Dual Crossmember Hangers?