Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Remember the "NightMARE" Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Sounds to me like someone is full of ****.

A new member who supposedly has a 3.8 that locked up for being "out of time" and then another dealer claims sugar, and shows crystals in the cylinders, which means they would have passed through the sock, the fuel filter, and made it through the injectorr nozzles, but didn't make it out of the exhaust ports????

Sounds like a ricer troll to me, since usually the lame *** interference motors on belt fed imports are pretty much the only thing that can lock up after impacting something when the timing belt breaks.

Real cars have timing chains, they don't get "out of time" like this newb mentioned.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 AM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RLowIndy
On 12/24/10 I took delivery of a beautiful 2005 Torch Red Convt V6 with about 38K on it. It was beautifuly maintained and looked near showroom. I drove it 250 miles the next weekend then left it parked until about March.

When I started it up March 12th it went 3 miles and the engine locked up. I had it towed to a TOM WOOD FORD in CARMEL, INDIANA and they said the engine was out of time, locked up and needed to be replaced.

When I asked them what could cause such a thing they said poor maintenance. I had the records, this car was not poorly maintianed. I asked them to do a fuel sample to see if the car had been tampered with and they said "There is no reason to do that, the fuel from the injectors is clean".

I replaced the engine with a Coupe wreck with 28K on it. The car ran a bit rough but the mechanic that did it said drive it an should smooth out. I drove it less than 50 Miles and the engine light came on again. I took it to Auto Zone and they said it was missing on cyl 6. So I replace the plugs, wires and coil and it still missed. It was running like total crap.

I took it to a diffrent dealership DON HINDS FORD in FISHERS INDIANA and within 5 minutes they did a fuel sample and found SUGAR.

Long story short, some "prankster" poured sugar in the tank and it made it's way into the engine. You caould actually see granuals in the cylinders. The insurance company replaced the fuel system and re-imbursed me for the engine. 200 Miles later the engine light came on again.... turns out it had even damaged the cat convter, so they replaced that. Smooth sailing ever since!
Dear god, ITS BACK TO THE FUTURE
Old 08-22-2010, 12:03 PM
RLowIndy

When the lab came back with the report they said water and sugar was found in the tank. My theory is that someone pre-dissolved the sugar in the water and poured it in.

There is a bit more to the story as well; right after I put the engine in (or had it put in by a friend) I drove it home and it seemed like it was missing at idle. My buddy said the engine had sat for about 6 months and it would need to be driven a bit to "shake the dust off it".

I filled the tank and headed an hour south to my jobsite for the day. I got about 40 miles and the car died on the highway at speed. Fortuately I was close to an exit and got the car in nuetral and coasted into a Shell parking lot. It would not start foar anything. I finally traced it to a blown fuel pump fuse (aha!). I got the car back home with out a hitch, and pulled into the local Wal Mart. It sat for about an hour and when I came out and started it it started running like total crap. I got it about .2 miles and it acted like the engine was gonna come through the hood. I got it pulled over and that's when I went and got a new coil. That didn't make a difference so I had it towed again to my buddy's shop.

He figured it MUST be TPS, the TB seemed like it might be stuck closed. That kinda made sense, as it ran ok sometimes and other times like it was starving for fuel or air or some mix in between. So we had an extra off the wreck engine and installed it. It seemed like it ran fine. He took it out for a 5 mile run and brought it back fine. I immediately got in it and it started missing again. I was begining to think I might posess some odd anti-Mustang magnetic field!

He finally gave up and said take it to Don Hinds, have them run a diag on it and see what all the O sensors were saying. I pulled it in the garage the next morning and it was running well when I dropped it off. The service writer called me and said when they pulled the car in it was running like total crap. One of the mech's decided to dip the fule and pulled out what looked like sand.

So thats when the insurance company got involved. It wasn't until after the work was done that the lab report came back, and they only test for sugar and water, nothing else.

I do have one other theory; this happened in the winter and we had a bag of rock salt sitting near the car, and not the clean pristine crystals you see in the clear containers for $10 a gallon, this was a $3 bag of gritty looking stuff with dirt and maybe small gravel within the crystals. It may be possible that the cluprit was that salt; it stands to reason since the original diagnosis was sand.

What I was really relieved about was that the insurance company came through on the cat convt. When I asked the adjuster if they'd ever seen a cat damaged they said "No, but then we've never seen this much damage done to any car with fuel tampering."

So NOW, The car DOES have a locking gas cap (thanks to those who have suggested it here) and it DIES sit in a LOCKED garage with the alarm set.

And I'm still considering a vanity plate that says "SWEET"!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 PM
RLowIndy

Dude, if someone is full of **** it ain't me. If ya want I'll scan the Ford service reports and send 'em to ya. And something made it out of the exhaust ports because it affected the catalitic converter.

But you certainly have a dick-headed way of stating your opinions.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:10 PM
RLowIndy

By the way, I don't think the engine was really ever out of time. Tearing the engine down didnt show any damage to the gears or the chain. I mean it's a CHAIN for god's sake. The mechanic at Don Hinds showed me where the valves had "locked up" for lack of the correct verbage.

And sorry about the "********" comment. Not that it wasnt warranted....
Old 08-22-2010, 12:31 PM
RLowIndy

And by the way, what in the world would I have to gain by throwing a "story" out there like this? A real troll would probably be taking digs at the quality of Fords, or bashing V6's vs V8's, or just overall be irritating or annoying. How do I know this? I co-run the SA750 Forum on Delphi, which is dedicated the Honda (I Know, rice) ACE 750. I'ev had 4 Honda Bikes in my life, 2 have been 750 ACE's.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/strictlyace750/start

I go by "Hollywood". And if I can figure out how to get a sig pic here, I will. Just have not taken the time.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Waldron93
1st Gear Member

Get a locking fuel cap from your local auto store. Cus in every town/city there is plenty off a**holes that mess around with cars.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Waldron93
1st Gear Member

LOL. I was a little late with the locking gas cap comment. Sorry >.<
Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

The car I had before the mustang was a Ford Contour. I was on the bypass and everything was fine then it died and I coasted to the side of the road. It would not hit a lick after that. The garage I took it to said it was the timing belt. Just broke. I then read online that the contour is notorious for this problem. After that though it ran perfect till I sold it and got the mustang.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:15 PM
RLowIndy

That is exactly what the mechanic and the insurance company said.

Quick Reply: Remember the "NightMARE" Mustang?