Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Bobarian91

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Bobarian91
Question Coolant leak.... Head gasket?

OK, so my check engine light came on about a month ago and I didn't really think twice about it because I didn't have the money to get it fixed. BUT, now I noticed when I park it, it's leaking something... well, turns out its coolant. I can't really tell if it's water pump, intake, or head gasket cuz there's too much crap in the way... it has coolant on TOP of the motor as well, and it's been leaking down the passenger side and spraying everywhere. It hasn't been overheating, but it had lost enough coolant to worry about, but thats been over the course of a month... How likely is it that the head gasket is cracked? I don't run it very hard except for rarely and it hasn't overheated... But I know the head gaskets aren't the strongest things either... Help?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang V6

I'd check the rad hoses as well. Do it with the engine running. See if you see where it's coming from.
K&N CAI; Bama 91Race; ASP UDP; Flowmaster AT; FRPP TLock/4.10 Gears; ScreaminDemon Coil; JBA PowerCables; Deka ETX14 Battery; Mishimoto Perf Rad; Steeda Rad Support; BMR KMem/AArms; JBA Shorties; Moroso Tanks 170# Wt Reduction (3175#)
120# FRONT=Engine Braces 5#; Rad/Support 15#; Firewall/Fend/Hood Sound Mat 5#; Intake 10#; UDP 5#; Battery/brace 25#; KMem/Arms 35#; Headers 15#; Tanks 5#
50# REAR=SpareTire 30#; SpareTireJack/TBar/Trunk Lining/Floor/Molding 10#; Axle Wts 10#
2007 grimlock stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Bobarian91

I checked with the enigne running and nothing from the hoses. It was leaking out somewhere below the head gasket but it was too awkward to see if it could have been the water pump gasket or not. At least it LOOKED like it was below the head gasket. I didn't see anything noticeable above it aside from on tope of the motor... would a water pump gasket or hoses trip the check engine light?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Bobarian91

and while we are talking about it, I've replaced head gaskets on an OLD school motor before... but how complicated does it get with these things? Could I buy the parts and do it myself?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Bobarian91

ok so I went out and checked it EVERYWHERE. looks likes it a combo... the thermo housing is leaking onto the top of the motor, the head gasket is leaking out to the side, and somewhere on the front of the motor is leaking as well.... either way i think the head gasket is screwed... so how hard is it to replace them?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Turbo V6; 2005 V6->V8 swap beast

Thermostat housing cracked. VERY common problem. Replace it first. The coolant will find its way down and around other places, so you probably don't have a head gasket leaking, unless you have water in the engine oil.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Bobarian91

you were right, it was thermo housing. unfortunately I found this out after being stranded. I think the thermo was bad cuz it built up enough pressure to blow the housing off after destroying the gasket... I'm having trouble finding the parts for it tho. It doesnt seem to be too complicated so I think I'll try to do it myself if i can get the parts
Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Considering that you identified this problem over 1 month ago, I'm surprised it hasn't stranded you sooner. Regardless, for not taking it seriously at the onset you probably deserve being stranded but that's just my 2 cents, probably because my ex would wait to tell me something was wrong after she saw or heard something weeks earlier when it was a minor problem and not a major repair.

As far as the CEL, I don't believe coolant issues would throw a CEL. Absolutely have the code pulled at Autozone or similar joint if you don't have a tuner.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Turbo V6; 2005 V6->V8 swap beast

Check with some of the people who have V6 parts for sale. You can pick one up for a decent price. Also, new from a discount online supplier is a good option. If you need one locally, you'll pay for it at the dealership.

Just make sure you get the piece(s) you need, top, bottom, or both. Get the O-ring for the t-stat, and make sure you put the t-stat back in properly! It's easier to get to if you remove the throttle body.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
Bobarian91

I didn't know autozone would pull a code, I never really go to autozone but that's worth it to do I suppose. You're probably right, I probably did deserve it haha but remember I'm a redneck. I'm used to super old school cars that you don't have to worry about so i was kinda treatin it like that.
zstang... yeah I notcied the TB kinda gets in the way... I have the parts ordered so they'll be here soon enough I suppose. I have ppl who will drive me around til I get the stang back on the road so I think it'll work out.... and once i do get it on the road again I'll have someone pull that code and check it.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, 2007, 40, 40l, coolant, engine, ford, gasket, head, leak, mustang, mustangforums, replace, top, v6