Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

[B][COLOR="Red"]regarding IAT's on supercharger without inner cooler:[/[/COLOR]B]

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Where are you grabbing your air from?

Those IATs sound like you're drawing in a LOT of hot underhood air. Air temperature after going through a hot radiator sort of explains the running temperatures. If your car is black or some dark color and there is little or no breeze, underhood temperature can easily be higher than ambient even if the engine has not been run in several hours.

Norm
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM
rexx

my car is white,but with temps. Here between 98-104deg. Ya its sucking hot air. IF I drive the car for 15min. ,and then turn it off and wait 30min. IAT WELL START ANY WHERE BETWEEN 127-157DEG. BUT THATS BECAUSE THERE IS NO AIR CIRCULATION. ORDERED INTERCOOLER HOPEFULLY THIS WELL COOL THINGS DOWN!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:02 PM
rexx

INTERCOOLER IS IN AND ROCKING. SURPRISED AT WHAT THE DIFFRENCE IS WITH THE 2.6 PULLEY AND IC MADE. MAJOR INCREASE IN POWER.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rexx
INTERCOOLER IS IN AND ROCKING. SURPRISED AT WHAT THE DIFFRENCE IS WITH THE 2.6 PULLEY AND IC MADE. MAJOR INCREASE IN POWER.
Congrats! Definitely worth the extra $ especially in hot areas
Old 09-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rexx
Rexx,

Welcome to the X-Man family I'm catching this thread a little late.

I installed an X last December (2010) and LOVE it. But lately...lol...I've been wanting more power.

Have you had your car dyno tuned and do you know the difference in horsepower from a non-intercooled X to an intercooled X?

I live in Washington, and Dave was very comfortable that an intercooler was not needed given the typically cooler temps up here year round. But still...it's more power

Thanks for the insight in advance
Old 09-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
Rexx,

I installed an X last December (2010) and LOVE it. But lately...lol...I've been wanting more power.

Have you had your car dyno tuned and do you know the difference in horsepower from a non-intercooled X to an intercooled X?

I live in Washington, and Dave was very comfortable that an intercooler was not needed given the typically cooler temps up here year round. But still...it's more power

It's not "needed" In New England either...but it sure is fun

I gained about 40HP and about the same amount of TQ in going from the standard "X" to the Xtreme
Old 09-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
It's not "needed" In New England either...but it sure is fun

I gained about 40HP and about the same amount of TQ in going from the standard "X" to the Xtreme

A 40HP and 40ft/lb of Torque increase....my wife is going to hate you for telling me that!!! LOL!! Me want now!

Thanks Torch_Vert.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:58 PM
rexx

Originally Posted by Biceps
Rexx,

Did not have dyno done, with IC & 2.6 pulley. I did dyno before IC. It came back at 248hwp. They were unable to do torque because IAT WERE RUNNING 210DEG! the horsepower came back low because of hight temps. the diffrence now is very noticeable ,and yesterday was the first day we did not break 100 deg. I bet it will be even more radical in winter. I would recomend IC IN THE SOUTH AS A MUST!! If temps up there dont get much past 85deg. & not to often. your proabably good. We have 2 seasons here summer & winter. we some times still have 85+ deg. in LATE Dec. I WOULD PROABABLY AGREE THAT IC ADDED ABOUT 40HORSES EASY IN EXTREME HEAT. WE HAD OVER 75 DAYS OF 100+ DEG. THIS SUMMER.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I don't see why you wouldn't use IC with forced induction no matter where you are. As inlet temp goes up, as it will even with low boost, don't you have to start backing the timing down? Just doesn't seem logical to spend all that $ on FI and cheap yourself out of getting the full benefit. Either that or I'm missing something big here.

Norm
Old 09-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I don't see why you wouldn't use IC with forced induction no matter where you are. As inlet temp goes up, as it will even with low boost, don't you have to start backing the timing down? Just doesn't seem logical to spend all that $ on FI and cheap yourself out of getting the full benefit. Either that or I'm missing something big here.

Norm
It's mostly economic, and the fact that developing the intercooler for the "X" lagged the release of the standard version by a couple years so there are a good number of X's out there that were installed before the intercooler was even an option. (The 4.0L is a 60 degree "V" engine, not a 90 degree like the 4.6L, and doesn't have that spacious well between the heads to make fitting an I/C simple. It took a good bit on ingenuity and some time to develop an effective I/C for the "X")

The non-intercooled "X" will take a stock 4.0 from around 185rwhp to 270-280. That's a pretty significant jump, and certainly quite enjoyable compared to stock.

Adding the I/C is good for another 40 or so on top of that.

There are still buyers for the "X" that go with the standard kit, because it fits their budget, and then either decide the power level is sufficient for them, or save up and upgrade to the I/C later.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 09-05-2011 at 07:59 AM.