Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Default Forced induction

Hey, I'm not planning on doing it any time soon but if I Were to get Forced induction what supporting mods would I have to do? Would you reccomend this?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

8.8 rear end with t-loc and a set of lower control arms so you can make use of the power.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
8.8 rear end with t-loc and a set of lower control arms so you can make use of the power.
+1 and if you have a T5 I would recommend either not banging the hell out of the gears, or get a TR3650 swap (GT transmission) as the T5 is weak as well as the stock clutch. My stock clutch on the T5 started slipping within a few days of having the supercharger.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:57 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

^^^^^^^^^ what he said !! sucks to have the power and not able to get it to the ground ! Its weird for me my car doesn't slip in the higher gears 3,4,5 . but in second, it just burns the clutch to pieces. I'm sure 1st would as well if it hooked , but tires break loose before clutch gets a chance to slip.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:17 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
^^^^^^^^^ what he said !! sucks to have the power and not able to get it to the ground ! Its weird for me my car doesn't slip in the higher gears 3,4,5 . but in second, it just burns the clutch to pieces. I'm sure 1st would as well if it hooked , but tires break loose before clutch gets a chance to slip.
I had most of my slipping issues in 2nd and 3rd like you said!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

So if i got a supercharger kit would i have to upgrade the internals to support it? What kits would you suggest? What are the chances that it would hurt the engine?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

No.
Do some searching and you'll get all your answers and more. There's tons of threads here on F/I.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by This guy
So if i got a supercharger kit would i have to upgrade the internals to support it? What kits would you suggest? What are the chances that it would hurt the engine?
I didn't put the Xcharger on until I had 90,000 miles on the car (and after two race seasons with a 75 shot of nitrous). Today it has 189,200 on it - still on the stock internals and ran 13.0 all day this weekend with bad traction (cold track and only 5 cars makes it tough to hook up at launch so didn't get to my mid 12's).

So I'd say no need to do anything to the internals - unless you are running a turbo, then you might want to upgrade the valve springs to avoid valve float due to back pressure. Even then it isn't a requirement depending upon how much boost you are dialing up on your turbo.

As far as what kit to get - you will get lots of different opinions. But it has to start with what do you want out of the car. What are your plans with F/I - are you looking at a drag car, a road course car, or what?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Ok after browsing the forums and seeing how everyone raves about Superchargers I Know I'm going to get one, the question now is what one to get? I Know a lot of people love the X charger but on americanmuscle.com I saw a vortech for nearly have the cost would this be a good choice? And to answer your question JimC I just want something fast and fun to drive and be able to do donuts and drifts here and there. I'm not really looking to drag or anything like that (sorry for the late response but I just saw your question now)

Last edited by This guy; 12-10-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:26 PM
JimC

For racing the centri blowers like the Vortech will generally be quicker, with equal drivers. I like my xcharger for a number of reasons, and it gets me where I want to be at the track, but I could probably see quicker times with a centri blower.

For the street the xcharger has the low end torque that you feel right away. The torque curve for the xcharger jumps up and stays there while the vortech is more linear. So looking for street performance, the xcharger is the way to go - it doesn't have the spool up time that the vortech has and gets to boost right away.

Xcharger means more low end performance and Vortech means more top end performance. Both are good systems, but there is a different performance map to the positive displacement blower like the xcharger compared to the centrifugal vortech. Not saying one is worse than the other, you will be happy with either, just know the difference in the characteristics and how they fit your intended use.

Quick Reply: Forced induction