Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clutch emergency!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:22 PM
SangheiliSpecOp

Talking

Originally Posted by Boneman
Thanks! LOL.... I find it a bit funny that if not for a doorstop.... The Mustang wouldn't GO!
Hello Boneman, I'm new to this forum. I traded in my 2007 automatic V6 mustang for a manual 2008 Mustang GT with 105,000 miles on it a couple of months ago. It is my first manual car, so it made for an interesting 3 hour drive back home from where I got it... lots of stalls and jumps. I've done a lot of work so far to it, especially after learning of the dreaded camshaft position sensor code and having a bad misfire for a while. I replaced the spark plugs, coil packs, alternator, and the two sensors just for good measure... Maybe all of that was unnecessary.

Anyways, I don't mean to be off topic. My clutch started slipping and I ordered an exedy mach 400 clutch and I will be replacing many parts that go along with the clutch (pilot bearing, clutch line, slave cylinder, etc). I am very surprised (while at the same time not too surprised) that the clutch pedal is connected to the master cylinder by a plastic piece. The thought of that breaking while I am in traffic or on the highway is not very comforting.

I can't believe that so many people actually went through the trouble of replacing their entire master cylinder just because of this piece breaking; it just seems as silly to me as the plastic part itself. You should feel proud that you fixed the problem yourself in a cost effective way while making the quality way better. This might sound weird but... I was actually thinking of "breaking"/removing the plastic clutch piece on purpose and using your door stop method to make a better connection for piece of mind. Would you recommend that? And how is the fix holding up for you right now? Thanks!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:35 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Its not that uncommon I swapped my auto ranger to manual and the whole slave assembly was plastic and are known to crack and leak on those trucks and the master also had a similar plastic pushrod clip so its not a vehicle specific issue here. Im convinced its a method of cost cutting. Perfection clutch makes metal replacement parts for the ranger never looked for the mustangs though may be worth a shot and perfection stuff is available at most local parts stores.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:07 AM
imtryin67

Originally Posted by SangheiliSpecOp
Hello Boneman, I'm new to this forum. I traded in my 2007 automatic V6 mustang for a manual 2008 Mustang GT with 105,000 miles on it a couple of months ago. It is my first manual car, so it made for an interesting 3 hour drive back home from where I got it... lots of stalls and jumps. I've done a lot of work so far to it, especially after learning of the dreaded camshaft position sensor code and having a bad misfire for a while. I replaced the spark plugs, coil packs, alternator, and the two sensors just for good measure... Maybe all of that was unnecessary.

Anyways, I don't mean to be off topic. My clutch started slipping and I ordered an exedy mach 400 clutch and I will be replacing many parts that go along with the clutch (pilot bearing, clutch line, slave cylinder, etc). I am very surprised (while at the same time not too surprised) that the clutch pedal is connected to the master cylinder by a plastic piece. The thought of that breaking while I am in traffic or on the highway is not very comforting.

I can't believe that so many people actually went through the trouble of replacing their entire master cylinder just because of this piece breaking; it just seems as silly to me as the plastic part itself. You should feel proud that you fixed the problem yourself in a cost effective way while making the quality way better. This might sound weird but... I was actually thinking of "breaking"/removing the plastic clutch piece on purpose and using your door stop method to make a better connection for piece of mind. Would you recommend that? And how is the fix holding up for you right now? Thanks!
My home fix steel clutch to pedal connector has worked like a charm for 3 years and about 20,000 miles.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:58 AM
tradosaurus
1st Gear Member

Can someone post instructions on how to replace this piece? Maybe with pictures?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:33 PM
SangheiliSpecOp

Originally Posted by tradosaurus
Can someone post instructions on how to replace this piece? Maybe with pictures?
I just finished replacing the piece with Boneman's doorstop method

The door stop was friggen $16 at Home Depot and I bought the 2 ton epoxy as well and just followed his previous post. It took me the good part of a day to get everything installed to be honest, mostly because of the awkward position of the trunnion piece and the fact that it was a real pain the get the old piece off of the rod going to the master cylinder. Just to clarify, my piece wasn't broken at all, but I just wanted to replace it with something metal. I tried many tools but in the end, a big sharp pair of pliers and a sharp kitchen knife helped me to eat away at the plastic and pull the old piece off the master cylinder rod off completely.

There is a retaining clip on the clutch pedal to keep the trunnion from sliding away from the pedal, you just have to bend it a little and it will come off... and then theres all the drilling and cutting of the doorstop piece I used... maybe pics would be better...
Old 01-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

It's not difficult to do... be it steel or via the "doorstop" method I figured out... and yes... a bit agreement with all here... that it's mostly the doggone PRETZEL you have to turn into to get that bad boy out... then back in. Add to that 55 years of age and numerous herinated discs... arthritis... etc.

Keep in mind bigtime: BODY POSITION and LIGHTING. Get that ironed out as best as you can, add a little perserverance... and you'll be off an running!
Old 06-11-2015, 04:27 AM
Krishneel

Default Diy

Yesterday my black plastic piece broke off the master cylinder aswell. A created a makeshift one and when i hooked it up the cylinder started leaking a little bit of brake fluid. It stopped, or atleast i hope it has. Ill have to check again Tomorrow morning. Can i please get a picture of your guys setups hooked up in your car? Please and thank you!
Old 06-11-2015, 05:38 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm.... I'll have to see what I can do there... getting in there as you know.. isn't too easy. Getting in there with a camera? Maybe one of the fellows with a smart phone could do it? Meanwhile, I'll see if I can manage somehow.

I find it odd... that you would develop a leak though.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:07 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

This info is ingenious! Next time someone decides to do a doorstop method or make one, please take pictures with step by step instructions. Right now I only have 13K on the Mustang so I guess I'm good for a while but in the mean time, I can archive all this valuable information.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:19 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Uhm.... pics of the "fabricated" unit are on page 2 of this thread. It's pretty straightforward actually. Get your doorstop... and make it look like the one pictured... with dimensions to match the remaining pieces of the plastic unit.

Quick Reply: Clutch emergency!