Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Rusted mount under front seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 PM
STSGuy

Default Rusted mount under front seat

How can I get the Ford part number for the metal mount right in front of the front seat? It's not the sliding mechanism on the side, but the squarish metal mount directly on the front left side? It looks like it holds the sliding mechanism in place, with a bolt. I will post a pic if that would help, I know I'm not being very descriptive.

In any event is there someplace that I can get a list with diagrams of all Ford 2007 V6 part numbers (interior)? That would be really helpful. Sorry if that's already been asked and answered.

Cheers.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Is it surface rust or is the part rusted through? Do they use salt on the roads in winter up there? Brine?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Is it surface rust or is the part rusted through? Do they use salt on the roads in winter up there? Brine?
Hes talking about in the car....

I know what you are talking about I have it too, seems to be surface rust.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

If it is surface rust it is fine and there is no point to replace it. If it bothers you, removed it and paint it.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 PM
STSGuy

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6

I know what you are talking about I have it too, seems to be surface rust.
I had an online chat with a rep from Ford.com parts who was really patient and found a diagram with the exact part number (61711). He told me it's a safety issue, so I've written to my dealership and asked them why they didn't replace/fix this before delivering the car to me last week.

I can't attach the pics because they're local on my PC and for some reason I can only attach web-hosted images to this posting.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I realized that. In northern climates, corrosion will occur inside the cabin from salt being constantly tracked into the vehicle on footwear.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:19 AM
STSGuy

Originally Posted by Nuke
I realized that. In northern climates, corrosion will occur inside the cabin from salt being constantly tracked into the vehicle on footwear.
That may be true, Nuke however I've lived in this part of the world for over 45 years and I've never seen this happen (maybe I was lucky?).

The dealer told me the same thing, however. He said it happens to all vehicles, regardless of brand or model.

In any event, tomorrow I will be having the remote starter fixed/replaced on my car and they will look at it. Even if it's not harmful, it looks horrible and I cannot imagine it won't further corrode.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 AM
STSGuy

Here's the link to the picture on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94502153@N06/

Last edited by STSGuy; 06-02-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Your picture got me curious so I looked at those rails in my '06. The drivers side is fine, but the passenger's side has some mild surface rust. It is not nearly as bad as shown in your picture.

I'm not sure about your laws, but here, if you buy it used from a dealer, they have to offer some level of warranty for safety items (and this clearly is a safety issue). It sits just above floor level so I would doubt this is an issue with water being tracked in. My guess is it is rusting from the outside in and that floorboard where it mounts should be checked for integrity.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 AM
STSGuy

Originally Posted by Bitter
Your picture got me curious so I looked at those rails in my '06. The drivers side is fine, but the passenger's side has some mild surface rust. It is not nearly as bad as shown in your picture.

I'm not sure about your laws, but here, if you buy it used from a dealer, they have to offer some level of warranty for safety items (and this clearly is a safety issue). It sits just above floor level so I would doubt this is an issue with water being tracked in. My guess is it is rusting from the outside in and that floorboard where it mounts should be checked for integrity.
Well laws aside, if it's a safety issue it has to be fixed. It pisses me off royally that a) I didn't catch this on my own and b) the dealership didn't fix it before I picked it up last week. I've written to the dealership owner and used car manager and sent them the same picture and am asking for an explanation and for it to be fixed ASAP.

Quick Reply: Rusted mount under front seat