Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

05 V6 electrical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Ralys

Default 05 V6 electrical issues?

Recently bought a used V6. Ran perfectly for a month, only issue was the adjustment screws for the headlights were jacked up, so driving at night has been a pain, since the lights are pointing at the ground. No mechanical issues, though.

Starting about a week ago, I've been having various electrical problems, culminating today when it died.

It's had the engine light on the entire time, guy I bought it from said it was because of the cold air intake he put on. Had a mechanic clear the codes last week, and almost immediately after, the problems started.

First thing that happened was the lights went out. Everything but the gauge lights: dome, headlights, radio, etc, none of it would come on. I could sometimes get it to work by several restarts.

Then, this morning, my keyless entry remote failed. Had to unlock the car with the key. Then when I tried to lock the car again, the physical switch inside the car failed to lock it. When I got in the car about 10 minutes later, remote worked, buttons in the car worked, everything.

Finally, this afternoon, my dad was driving it and he said it died. Apparently, he was able to get it restarted, but described it as running 'weak', as if it wasn't getting enough gas or something. He also said one of the mechanics thought it might be because of the anti theft system, that, if tripped, it would cause the car to run well below maximum. I could be wrong, but my research seems to indicate that the anti theft system would prevent the car from starting altogether, so I don't know about that.

Anyone dealt with anything like this before?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You're describing numerous "gremlins" which are very typical symptoms of the infamous water leak; a chronic issue with many 05's, 06's and some 07's (and possibly beyond). Feel the carpet by the front passenger kick panel after a rain. The SJB is inside and water drips down over it, corroding various connections. There's a TSB on it but even the dealership's fix (under warranty, of course, and of not much use to you at this point) is sometimes pretty pathetic.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Ralys

I took the passenger kick panel off, and I didn't see any signs of damage to any of the wiring in there. Only thing out of place was a dead grasshopper. I was going to check the cabin air filter cavity for standing water, but I can't get the wiper arms off.

The car started again today, though, which seems consistent with water getting in and drying up over night...?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

You shouldn't need to remove the wiper arms to access the cabin air filter.

Like Nuke says, this sounds like a water issue with the SJB. Here's the TSB on how to deal with it:

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb08-26-07.pdf