Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Which catalytic converter to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Eljay S

Default Which catalytic converter to buy?

My wife's 2006 Mustang V6 automatic (130k mi) with no mods needs a new cat converter on the passenger side. It's rattling a good bit. I took a stethoscope up the tailpipe and down from the engine and it showed me the noise was coming from the cat converter. I tapped it with a mallet and heard the rattle too.

It's a very expensive job to me to have a shop do it, and some insist on OEM parts. I saw online I can get the part pretty inexpensively, but I don't have the facilities to install it myself. But I found a good shop that will install it if I bring the part and just charge labor ($180). Maybe that's a bit high for labor but it might still come out cheaper in the long run.

My question is which cat converter should I get? It looks like a bolt on. Is that right? If someone can link a page for what they recommend it'd be great. I've been warned to stay away from cheap ones, but I don't know what that'd be. So, any help in picking one out would be great! Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:04 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

It should be pretty easy for you to install it yourself in your driveway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Catalytic-Co...9W2h6z&vxp=mtr
Old 05-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Eljay S

Thanks. So, when buying a direct fit, both sides are replaced I see and is bolted on. What about the rear end? I don't see bolt fittings.

Obviously, I'm not a mechanic, but I'm a quick learn and like to get my hands dirty doing work myself to take me away from my world of computers and save $$. I just read a bit about the difference of universal and direct fit, and now understand more. I see direct fit is the way to go and is really about bolts with no cutting.

Now I'm wondering about access to the bolts. I'll have to get under and see if I feel confident about that. I'm looking for pictures/videos on it too. If you know of any tutorials on this job, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:28 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Yeah direct fit is the way to go assuming you are not really wanting to do mods in the future, the rear of the pipe if I recall correctly has a band clamp.

So you will have to disconnect the clamp at the rear, the O2 sensors and the bolts at the exhaust manifold. I don't think you have to remove anything to get to this part of the exhaust but can not say with 100% accuracy.

Make sure you can get the car high enough up in the air with a lift or jack stands, use penetrating oil on all the connectors and let it sit for a little bit if you have a hard time loosening a bolt apply more penetrating oil.

Install in the reverse, wouldn't hurt to purchase a manual on the car either
Old 05-08-2016, 11:47 PM
Eljay S

I will get a repair manual. Last time I had it jacked up, it wasn't high enough, and I wasn't real sure of jacking points. I have a hydraulic hand jack and jack stands.