4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question about my Launch ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 02:06 AM
IdleStallion

Default Question about my Launch ...

Ok, as I have stated before, I am new to the forums and need a little help with me launch. Got a 2003 GT mustang with 12000 miles on it. (manual trans)

The other day I was up against a camero at a red light. He kept edging up so I knew he wanted to race. I put it up to about 2500 rpms and when the light turned green I floored it from there. When I floored it, it bogged down for a second.

It seems when I straight floor it in first gear, the car bogs down for a second or two. IS there a term for this? Crappy driver maybe? lol.

I get the most power out of my start when I start out a little slower and then punch it after a second.

If anyone knows what im talking about or can help me, I would appreciate it.

PS. Also it seems as if I dont get good traction. Anyone reccomend anything there? Maybe lowering the air pressure in the tires to a lower PSI?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:13 AM
MichaelKnight

Default RE: Question about my Launch ...

Bogging down for a second or two when you floor it in 1st? That sounds to me like traction control slowing you down. Do you notice the traction control light coming on when this happens? Turn it off when you're lining up against someone and want to take off fast. Otherwise, if you do have it turned off, I can't imagine why you'd be bogging down in first if you revved it to 2500 rpm...

Lowering your tire pressure will give you a little better traction, yes... It will also make your tires wear faster. I don't think it's a good idea unless you're doing it at the track.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:15 AM
IdleStallion

Traction Control is automatically always on. (locks the rear axle if I am correct). I can hit the switch and turn it off, but I never knew that would help.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:26 AM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

Yea you definitely want to turn that off if you are going to be racing, otherwise once your tires lose traction alittle it will kick in and basically stop you long enough to regain traction
Old 02-23-2004, 03:30 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

I have a 96 GT with flows. A few kids at my school want to race me. One has a 98 Civic HX with headers, exhaust, and CAI, one has a 95 Eclipse RS with a muffler and 50 shot of NX, the other has a 97 Z28 with a few bolt ons. My question is what should I revv it up to when I'm about to launch and should I dump the clutch or feather it?
Old 02-23-2004, 03:34 AM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

I usually rev up to about 3000 rpms or so. That z28 is going to tear you up though =/
Old 02-23-2004, 03:38 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Haha yea I know thats why everytime he asks to race I say no. Both the eclipse and the civic guys think they can beat me. Do u feather your clutch or dump it?
Old 02-23-2004, 03:47 AM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

I usually feather it
Old 02-23-2004, 04:59 PM
MichaelKnight

Beezy --> Hahaha, nice Red Stapler Avatar!

IdleStallion --> I think you're thinking of positraction. That's a feature of your rear axle where both wheels get even power instead of a normal differential where only one wheel will spin when you lose traction. That's not the same thing as traction control. Traction control is a system which senses when your wheels lose traction and applies your brakes as needed to regain traction. You DEFINITELY want to turn it off when you're lining up against someone!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 12:27 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

It definately is the traction control bogging you down. If you want to race, hit the switch off. Rev her up and feather the clutch, don't pop it or you'll be spinning the wheels and moving side to side out of control. That Z28 will slap you so far back, you'll think your in a Dodge omni!

Quick Reply: Question about my Launch ...