4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New '04 needs Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 05:48 PM
gt_stang_04

Default New '04 needs Headers

Everyone,

I recently purchased a new '04 GT and am planing on installing hi-pro. headers, collector & cat-back system. I'm not sure about the brands yet. I'm also curious if this voids any part of the warranty. I would appreciate any advise on brands or any comments you may have for me. This will be my only mod to the engine for many years, so keep that in consideration. I will not be lowering the suspension (everything is stock).

Would it also be a good idea to change out the filter box?

Thanks for looking ,
Mike
Old 03-03-2004, 01:42 PM
sanitarium16
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New '04 needs Headers

adding aftermarket parts will definatley void your warranty
Old 03-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sanitarium16

adding aftermarket parts will definatley void your warranty

No, it's been a law that has been passed - MOONS AGO that allows you to do modifications to your engine & drivetrain. If whatever part fails and the dealership can blame it on the aftermarket parts, they can & will try to stuff it up your butt.

Talk to the service manager at your local Ford dealership(s) and find a shop that won't do what is ILLEGAL & WRONG and allow you to modify without voiding your warranty.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:52 PM
N2OJunkie
I ♥ Acer

True....!!!!!!!!!!!!!..aftermarket exhaust will not void it......
Old 03-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Snydaleid
2nd Gear Member

It's also illegal to change your perfectly good cats out before 60K miles. So an exhaust shop won't touch it. Plan to do it yourself.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:11 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

If you are only doing the exhaust setup as your ONLY modification for some time to come, I think you should reevaluate your modification choice. For ALL THE $$$$ you are going to spend on headers, mid-pipe, & cat-back, plus labor you will be kissing the $1500 mark (give/take a couple hundred). Those headers are going to hit u for at least $550, & you can add $400 for labor, plus $340 or so for for a cat-back, & another for the mid-pipe. For your needs, screw headers. Get the mid-pipe, cat-back, a 4.10 gear, a m.a.m., & a Pro 5.0 shifter. More bang for your buck.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:41 PM
gt_stang_04

Thanks for all of the replys.

Are the gains that insignificant for headers. I'm not sure where to find the gains from stock headers to AM ones. I've also been looking into the 4:10 gears. They seem like a somewhat easy mod. and it sounds like most people are quite pleased with them. I don't plan on driving at top speeds anyway. Acceleration is much more important to me.

As far as cat-back systems, I'm looking for something quiet with the maximum amount of gains. I only want it a little louder than stock except for when I mash on it. Any suggestions?

Also, what is an m.a.m.?
Old 03-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

MAM = Mass Air Meter

Magnaflow will give you some of the bets gains possible and they do have very quite muffler applications.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:28 PM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Snydaleid

It's also illegal to change your perfectly good cats out before 60K miles. So an exhaust shop won't touch it. Plan to do it yourself.
It's actually 50K miles and yes, any exhaust shop will do the work they will explain about keeping your original H-pipe just in case.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:34 PM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: gt_stang_04

Thanks for all of the replys.

Are the gains that insignificant for headers. I'm not sure where to find the gains from stock headers to AM ones. I've also been looking into the 4:10 gears. They seem like a somewhat easy mod. and it sounds like most people are quite pleased with them. I don't plan on driving at top speeds anyway. Acceleration is much more important to me.

As far as cat-back systems, I'm looking for something quiet with the maximum amount of gains. I only want it a little louder than stock except for when I mash on it. Any suggestions?

Also, what is an m.a.m.?
5.0 Mustang and Super fords, this months issue did a dyno comparision test with BBK headers. Guess what, their unequal length shorties provided the best gain in tourque and HP! Screw the long tubes!

I agree with GSXR and Dan about the gears and the Magnaflow exhaust set up. Mass Air meter, go with the C&L set-up and replace the very bad factory air filter and air box.

Quick Reply: New '04 needs Headers