Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

Default Throttle Position Sensor ~ 02 GT

Is it easy? Will it help? How do I do it? Thanks in advance.

~Alf
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

2002 Mineral Grey GT
K&N CAI
Accufab 75mm T/B & Plenum
O/R X pipes
Flowmasters
Eibach Pro-Kit
Predator Tuned

FRPP 4.10s sitting in my living room... I NEED 300 bones
24# injectors sitting in my closet.
djdalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to Tac2cul Send a message via AIM to Tac2cul Send a message via Yahoo to Tac2cul
Default RE: Throttle Position Sensor ~ 02 GT

so um whats the question again?
Tac2cul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

Well the question was how do I adjust the throttle position sensor, but I found the information on Accufab's website. I will post the information here. Thanks anyways.

Quote:
To adjust the TPS, please refer to the following:

Disconnect the ground cable from the battery.

Remove the TPS from the original throttle body and install it on the new Accufab throttle body. If new screws have been provided in the package from Accufab, use these screws (they are shorter). If not, reuse the original or stock screws.

Reconnect the TPS to the wire harness.

Reconnect the battery.

Now, the TPS needs to be adjusted to achieve the correct voltage at idle. Changes to the idle speed can ONLY be made by adjusting the TPS.

DO NOT ADJUST THE STOP SCREW ON THE THROTTLE BODY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. This screw has been pre-set at the factory to insure a proper air gap around the throttle blade in the fully closed position. If by chance this stop screw has been adjusted in the field, please call our TechLine for further assistance.

The TPS is connected to the main wire harness with three separate, color coded wires:

Gray & Red

Gray & White

Brown & White

The gray & red wire is the ground wire (could also be a black wire).

The gray & white wire provides the voltage information to the ECM (could also be a green wire).

The brown & white wire provides a 5-volt reference signal WITH THE KEY ON (could also be an orange wire).

If you have any problems identifying the different colors or if the wires are different colors from those described, check inside the plastic quick disconnect plug. The plug connection tangs should have an “A”, “B”, and “C” next to each tang.

A = gray & red wire

B = gray & white wire

C = brown & white wire

Because of the different suppliers of TPS’s, and the potential for different wire colors, you may need to “poke around” on the wires in order to determine the positive and negative leads. An easy way to take voltage readings is to stick a safety pin through the individual wires, and then make contact with your Volt Meter probes to the safety pins.

To check voltage, THE IGNITION KEY NEEDS TO BE IN THE ON POSITION BUT THE ENGINE MUST NOT BE RUNNING. With the positive (+) lead from your voltmeter, pierce the gray & white wire. With the negative (-) lead from your voltmeter, pierce the gray and red wire. The voltmeter should read no less than .98 volts nor more than 1.0 volts. If the voltage is too high, loosen, but do not remove, the two screws holding the TPS to the throttle body, and rotate the unit counter-clockwise, until the voltage is correct. Rotating the unit clockwise will increase the corresponding voltage. When the voltage is correct, retighten the two screws. The only adjustment is the “slop” between the inside diameter of the holes and the outside diameter of the screws, so we are dealing with just a few degrees of rotation.

~Alf

2002 Mineral Grey GT
K&N CAI
Accufab 75mm T/B & Plenum
O/R X pipes
Flowmasters
Eibach Pro-Kit
Predator Tuned

FRPP 4.10s sitting in my living room... I NEED 300 bones
24# injectors sitting in my closet.
djdalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1999 Mustang GT
Send a message via Yahoo to marcuslee842

My TPS is so effed up my car barely even runs. That article was very helpful tho.

99 GT (AUTO)
Mods: UD pullies, shift kit, Super 40's, 75mm TB, C&L Plenum, Diablo Tuner, K&N FIPK, 4.10's, progress springs, UPR spherical LCA's and UCA's, UPR CC plates, KYB GR2 struts, Gas-a-just shocks and quads steeda bumpsteer kit, x2 ball joints, shorter endlinks, polyurethane front and rear iso's and a few other suspension mods.
marcuslee842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
2VNA
4th Gear Member

get another, there cheep, mine broke.
UDP, timing adjuster, LCA, sport springs, shock tower brace, JLT RAC, Trick flow 75mm & T-body, EGR spacer, Bassani X pipe, Flowmaster, 373, Granalli COP tips, chin strap spoiler, Cobra Y2K chrome 18X10.5, BFG G-Force, Grill delete kit, tint
2VNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tac2cul Send a message via AIM to Tac2cul Send a message via Yahoo to Tac2cul

wow i just removed mine from old TB and put on new TB with no issues...hmmmmm
Old 04-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
2VNA
4th Gear Member

I had too many beers and steped on mine, that's how it broke. LOL that was a fun night.
UDP, timing adjuster, LCA, sport springs, shock tower brace, JLT RAC, Trick flow 75mm & T-body, EGR spacer, Bassani X pipe, Flowmaster, 373, Granalli COP tips, chin strap spoiler, Cobra Y2K chrome 18X10.5, BFG G-Force, Grill delete kit, tint
Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 2VNA

I had too many beers and steped on mine, that's how it broke. LOL that was a fun night.

lol damn.... what else did ya step on throughout the night?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
2VNA
4th Gear Member

on a diffrent day my friend came driving up and ran over my mass air sencer. I got a new one at pick a part. same car same color just had the passanger side door in the drivers seat. But i did fall out of my shed that nigt too.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 2VNA

on a diffrent day my friend came driving up and ran over my mass air sencer. I got a new one at pick a part. same car same color just had the passanger side door in the drivers seat. But i did fall out of my shed that nigt too.

sounds like a fun night lol
Old 04-28-2006, 06:26 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
02, 1996, 19962004, 2004, gt, ironh19, mustang, oem, position, positon, sensor, testing, throttle, tps, wire, wires