4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What upgrades do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 03:09 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default What upgrades do I need?

I just bought a 2002 GT coupe. It has cold air intake and thats about all. What can I do to get some quick H.P. without voiding my extended warrenty? Also what the hell is a "cat back system" and what does it do? I always thought that was a rice rocket upgrade but obvisously not. Please excuse my ignorance.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:34 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What upgrades do I need?

If you want some more get-up-and-go, get a set of gears, either 4.10 if you plan to stay naturally aspirated, or 3.73 if you plan on boosting or juicing your 'stang. They only cost $190 if you can do the work yourself, or a little more to have a shop do it. 4.10's will make quite a difference. A cat-back system is the part of the exhaust system that connects to the H-pipe and includes the mufflers and tailpipes. It's called a cat-back system because it's from the catalytic converters to the back of the car. So no, it's not a ricer term. You can also get an off-road H-pipe or X-pipe, but if you have to smog, you will have to put your catted H-pipe back on when it's time to smog your car, which around here it's every 2 years, so it's worth it to only have to do once every 2 years for the performance gain. Also some long-tube headers if you don't have to smog, or shorties if you do have to smog. A complete exhaust from the headers back should get you an extra 30-40 horses over stock. You can also get underdrive pullies, K&N air filter, and replace the tranny fluid and rear end fluid with synthetics. You can also upgrade to a larger throttle body and upgrade your MAF. Look around the forums for other ideas about how to get more HP out of your car.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:56 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Thanks a lot. I know what Im going to do to the exhaust. I already have quotes on that. The underdrive pullies will void my warrenty. I was told that by a guy at the dealership. I only have like 40000 left and I will put that on the car in a year. Thanks a lot for the info.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:56 PM
00redGT
2nd Gear Member

USA muscle you expect him to be able to install rear gears when he doesn't know what a cat-back exhaust is? lol Jdaniel your the one who beat a rx8 with a stock GT? thats pretty cool man, I never had to chance to race one yet, cant find any...beat a 350z though [:'(]
Oh yea, get ford racing underdrive pullies, they wont say anything then, and get a set of 373's they wont void the warrenty, just a idea..
Old 04-09-2004, 04:53 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Well I had an idea about the exhaust but never really looked into it because I always thought it was a ricer upgrade and in no way do I want to be like those guys. LOL. I talked to the guys at Ford motor where I bought my car and they said that they wouldnt install the underdrive pullies and if I have it done that it would void the warrenty because it will let the engine spin much more freely which in the end will cause more redlining a lot easier and will damage the motor. They also said that if there is any way to link me racing and damage to the engine that they wont cover any damages period. I said that sucks.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Exhaust is not a ricer term. What most ricers do is they dont actually touch their exhaust they just put some huge muffler on the back so it sounds like a weed whacker and makes it look like their car is fast. Your car needs to breath and exhaust is part of letting it breath more freely. CAI, T/B, and plenum will get more air in and let it run through your engine more freely. Headers, intermediate pipe (H or X), and cat back will help the exhaust get out quicker and flow smoother.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:27 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I know about exhaust. I was refering to "catback systems." Thats what I didnt know much about. Other than that I know pretty much what Im doing.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:27 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Well, if you know exhaust and know what you are doing, you would KNOW what a cat-back is! UD pullies will not void your warranty, it is that particular dealer that is making that call. UD pullies are great because it's an easy bolt on for +13 HP.

If you want a performance exhaust with the nice sound, go straight through exhaust like a Magnaflow or SLP cat-back.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:29 AM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

I saw a dyno of Steeda UD pullies and it only gave 3HP on a modular, it is said the stock pullies are decent but the 5.0 pullies were way worse and add more HP on those engines.

Common upgrades are intake either cold air or upgrade the MAF, throttle body and plenum. Exhuast work, swap gears and a short throw shifter. UD pullies are decent and timing adjusters add alittle and are fairly cheap.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:13 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

What about porting and polishing the heads and shaving the crankshaft? I heard that is like 60-70 extra hp? Thats a lot of money though. I already have C.A.I. and I am looking into the plenum and the MAF and TB. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: What upgrades do I need?