4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I NEED BOOST.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:03 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

Default I NEED BOOST.

im stuck sittin here on the 4.6 still n/a.. i need boost..

im goin for a either a kb 1.7l or a vortech. i have supporting mods.

and TIRES.

i only really want to run 9-10psi. no thoughts of nos either..

thats why i DONT want to go for the kb 2.2l. (even though it LOOKS 5x better).

what is some professional input on this matter?

also i have heard a few install+product prices from a few- what are your guys experiences with pricing.
THANKS FOR THE HELP.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:49 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I NEED BOOST.

well all i can do is give you an opinion, and so far it aint based on nothing but hearing what other who do have it, say. I am still waiting on my gauges to come in b4 the blower goes on. If cost were no object i would do the kenne bell 1.7. I just want a pretty fast daily driver and i think the immediate boost and low end power is the best for the street (again, my opinion). I am shocked at the absence of used kenne bell systems for our cars, that must tell you something. I went with used vortech for the cost and still be able to make some good power. It all depends on what you want. Can the KB meet your power expectations for the money you are putting in? I wouldnt be happy dropping 6K and getting 340-350whp. I like the whine of the twin screw but i am not willing to kick an extra 4k for it. for the price of the kb you could also probably do a twin setup and get even more power. I looked at about all of it too, just had to settle with what i can afford now.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:05 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Plus, I really have no experience with KB let alone S/C's, but from what I have learned, Centrifugal S/C are the most efficient.

And once again I could be completely wrong, but KB doesnt make that kind do they?

And just out of curiosity... 1 - Don't all blowers whine? And 2. Is the Vortech centrifugal?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:47 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Plus, I really have no experience with KB let alone S/C's, but from what I have learned, Centrifugal S/C are the most efficient.

And once again I could be completely wrong, but KB doesnt make that kind do they?

And just out of curiosity... 1 - Don't all blowers whine? And 2. Is the Vortech centrifugal?
1. Yes, to a certain extent. Vortech's SQ for example is supposed to be fairly quiet. Those on the forum with them can tell you exactly how quiet they are.

2. Vortech's line is of the centrifugal variety.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:49 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I would vortech it over a kenne bell personally.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:53 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

So technically the only reason why people go with KBs is mainly for that "instant" boost?

Starts to make me feel good the most expensive KB is not always the best in achieving power goals! My pocket got happier [8D]
Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

Its really all about personal preference. I dont know why I like vortech better the kb, but i do.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Kenne bells will OWN on the street, but a vortech will most likely win at the track. As far as the fun factor goes, I bet the kenne bell may be more fun, but I have never driven in a kenne belled car.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:29 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

Kenne bells will OWN on the street, but a vortech will most likely win at the track. As far as the fun factor goes, I bet the kenne bell may be more fun, but I have never driven in a kenne belled car.
See this is said over and over but its complete bull****. Unless you are running from a low RPM roll (why would you?) there isn't a huge advantage on the street like everyone says.

Thats why I posted the video of the rolls from lower speed/middle speed.

I cannot say that centrifugal is the only way to go, and there are some advantages to the KB setup, but there are advantages to the centri setup too.

At the last car show I went to there was a guy with a 00 GT with a KB 1.7L intercooled on it. He spent as much on his blower and tune as I spent on my blower, exhaust, and what I would have spent on cams if I had done em myself (should have).

I am making 415 ~WHP . He is making 364 at 11 PSI! This is simply because he is still pushing it all thru the stock manifolds and x pipe, and some of the stock intake boltons. (t/b, plenum, intake elbow)

If money is absolutly no object, get the KB 2.2L and bulid the car up. I honestly do think if you plan on leaving the car just exhaust/intkae boltons and centri that is the better way to go.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:33 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

my vortech isnt that quiet... its quiet to most maybe... but it sounds more like a turbo.... it spools up... and its got a whistle at idle and up to about 1200rpms...

Quick Reply: I NEED BOOST.