4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch... (for supercharged car)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:02 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch... (for supercharged car)

Well, we began the process of tearing down the top end today. And of course, I picked a week where it is absolutely gorgeous out. After talking to the speed shop, they warned that I should replace my clutch now, since it won't last long with the blower setup. So basically, my question is what brands of clutches are you blower guys using? I'm going to have to get 1 and have it end by next week.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:39 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch...

my blower should go on this week, i ordered a spec stage 2.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:28 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Wow....buncha clutch knowledgable people here aye? All these people makin all this HP and nobody changed their clutch...very interesting... [&:]
Old 05-24-2006, 05:46 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IWinULose

Wow....buncha clutch knowledgable people here aye? All these people makin all this HP and nobody changed their clutch...very interesting... [&:]
well, ask about altezza tail lights or wheels or other super technical stuff, and they will crawl outta the woodwork. It is frustrating when you know there is a ton of knowledge with people here and it seems to get spread around with an eye dropper.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:26 AM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

I've heard of many people using the SPec 2 or 3 clutches with big hp #s.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:42 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Stage II - Daily driver, weekend racer (good with street tires and DOT approved Drag Radials. I've seen th6em on 450+ RWHP cars)

Stage III - Racer (Good with Slicks) (The one car that I've seen this on was a 700+ rwhp)

Have you ever tried a stage III? They take TIME to get used to and no I would not recommend them for Daily driving. There is like no give to them. Once it grabs, it grabs, and pray that its dry outside and you got some sticky tires. They can handel quite an abuse though, those stage IIIs from what I hear.

Stage II is what was reccomded to me for my blower set up and my HP goals. So thats what I'm going for.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:37 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

I am in the same dilema, I just purchased a Vortech SQ S/C and I had planned on getting a Spec Stage 1, do I really need to go with a Stage II? I've never driven a car with a Stage 2 clutch so I'm not sure what kind of driveability issues I would face.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:27 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

the spec stg 1 are rated for about 420 torque, the stg 2 are rated for about 502 torque. numbers might be off a little, just going from memory

then there is the stage 3 are rated for about 650.

If you are in the area of the stg 3 , go with a stg 2 plus. holds the same as the 3 but is more streetable.

I hear the king cobra clutches are good also. Another clutch to look into is centerforce

I love my spec stage 2, I have no drivability issues, it is over kill but hopefully not as much later on.

I am in the same dilema, I just purchased a Vortech SQ S/C and I had planned on getting a Spec Stage 1, do I really need to go with a Stage II? I've never driven a car with a Stage 2 clutch so I'm not sure what kind of driveability issues I would face.
You dont have to go with the stage 2, but I just like to have something a little over rated for what ever I end up doing. Just a little peace of mind I guess. the pedal is probly just tuffer inbetween the stg1 and 2 other than that both are streetable
Old 05-24-2006, 02:38 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

I'm having a Clutch Masters Stage 3 installed this weekend with my P-1SC Stage 2.

I was going to get a Spec Stage 2 but the shop I'm going to can get a great deal on Clutch Masters and their Stage 3 supposedly has a near stock pedal pressure, which was the determining factor for my DD.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:27 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Well from the sounds of it, I don't need a Stage 3 yet...think I might go with the Spec stage 2. My 04 is basically just a sunshine car that might eventually see the track some time this summer. I prolly put 2,500 - 3,000 miles on it each summer.....but still, I like to have the peace of mind knowing that if I wanna jump in it and go to town, and get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic it isn't gonna be a PITA to drive.

Quick Reply: Clutch... (for supercharged car)