4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cracked intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 08:18 PM
bluemistro

Default Cracked intake manifold

I have a 96 GT. My intake manifold has a crack and is leaking antifreeze. I know I need to replace it but Ive heard that ford charges $700 plus for a new one. I have seen PI takeoffs from 99-02 GTs on ebay for about $100 and want to know if they are a direct replacement. Will the PI intake manifold fit a non PI engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:22 PM
99 cobra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cracked intake manifold

IF i were you this would give me a better excuse to buy a nicer aftermarket intake maniford. Or you could even take i off a 96 cobra (with some modifing)

99 cobra
Old 04-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Jay72
I ♥ Acer

The intakes don't interchange, the PI port sizes are larger and won't match up.
You should have learned about the problem sooner, when I got my '97 GT I read some reviews on the internet and found the intake leak is such a common thing that ford issued an extended warranty on the intake only. I think it was 7 years. I barely made it in to get my intake done for free.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Epd711
1st Gear Member

I just had the exact same problem on my 98 Gt. I brought it in cause antifreeze was pissin out, and i got charged for $1200 to fix. The mechanic at the ford dealer said the Crown Vic's had the same problem, and actually had a recall, but the recall did not even apply to the mustangs even though it was the same part. I got it fixxed for $1200, got my car back, and it runs like junk. I'm lookin into whether or not the mustangs had a recall on that intake manifold.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Epd711
1st Gear Member

Just found this in, might wanna check it out

http://www.complaints.com/directory/...arch/24/40.htm
Old 04-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Jay72
I ♥ Acer

You can also scroll down and read this
It's the invoice for my free intake replacement, plus they threw in a few sensors.
My cars build date is 10/96 so I had 9 months left under the warranty.
It also was a great help that I know one of the mechanics there, not too many people are made aware that there was a 7 year warranty put out on this intake.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:57 PM
bluemistro

I have searched the internet and I can't find any aftermarket intake manifolds for the 4.6. What are the options and how do I find them.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:42 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Hey, i had the same problem last november, cost me $400 to get the manifold and have it installed, the only difference was that the part that cracked is now aluminum, or somthing, but i dunno where you guys are getting your prices, $1200? wow, and i thought it was expensive up here.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:52 PM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

I just had to do mine this weekend. It had a crack right by the thermostat housing. Thats so f7ckin stupid. That really is ****ty that they dont recall that biatch. Luckily I found one on e-bay for $100. It was for a 99 GT though and I put it on my 98 GT. I had to splice the temp sensor for the tempe gauge in w/ the temp sensor for the computer. I also have looked for after market intakes and have had no luck yet. Hey jay, is that just for your 96 cause when I went to Ford they told me there was no recall or anything. Did u have to beat somebody up to get that ****?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Jay72
I ♥ Acer

Before I got the car I looked online searching google and read a bunch of stuff about the intakes cracking and even blowing up. So I got it anyway and took it to the ford dealer who sold it new, they did not want to help and told me not to worry about it. I took the car there because it had a slight leak and small crack inside under the thermostat housing. He gave me a printout of the TSB or whatever it was and they were instructed to repair it only if it was a concern, I figured a concern to them because I had already shown it was a concern to me.

Well at the time I worked at a place and a guy there had a brother who worked at another dealer.
The brother told me that ford has issued a seven year extended warranty on this intake on certain vehicles. Thats 7 years from the build date on the door sticker. And there was a mileage limit but I forgot what it was.
My car barely qualified for the warranty.
I dropped it off and got it back about 5 hours later, could not even tell anything was done but there was definatly a new intake there with the front water passage/thermostat area made out of aluminum instead of plastic.
So, I guess it's like anything else, they try to screw you every chance they get.
This site is where I got the info on intake swapping for different years.

Quick Reply: Cracked intake manifold