4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:07 PM
aMerICAn_mUsCLe79
2nd Gear Member

Default PI swap

ok this is out to all my sn95 guys. have ne of u guys done a pi swap? i c a kit at mustang tunning for liek 150 or sumthin for PI heads. ne of u guys done it b4? how much was it and u like the difference?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:02 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: PI swap

I'm not really sure what your talking about with the mustang tuning thing. But I did a pi swap and found a set of heads and had them check by a machine shop for $500. Intake for like $200. I had to grind valve reliefs in my pistons, so that was free(most people just fly cut the pistons which you will have to pay for either way). $100 for a head change kit, and like $180 for valve covers. You will also have to re-route your heater hose coming out of your water pump, and move your engine temp sensor somewhere else because there isn't a bung for it in the pi manifold.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:17 PM
aMerICAn_mUsCLe79
2nd Gear Member

did u have urs done? or u do it by urself....and how was the change.. u think its worth it and about how much intotal did it cost u?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
aMerICAn_mUsCLe79
2nd Gear Member

http://www.mustangtuning.com/intakemanifold.html this is what i saw...they say an alternitive for a pi swap...think its ne good? or know ne thing about that
Old 05-25-2006, 03:29 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Well first off that link you gave is just for a pi intake manifold, that manifold won't fit on your heads. It says "This is a less expensive alternative to aftermarket performance intake manifolds for PI head swaps". So you would still have to buy the pi heads. Yeah I did the work myself it wasn't too bad. This is really my first car I really "messed" with and I've pulled the engine a few times now and its no big deal. I really wouldn't be able to tell you how worth it it is because I also did a SHM stage 1 cam and ported my heads but I don't know how worth it it would be to just do a pi set up. It all depends what your goals for the car are.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:25 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

a pi swap for a sn95 is awesome. you will get more hp, and higher compression. when you do other bolt ons, your car will perform better to them rather then without the swap
Old 05-25-2006, 05:07 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I really recommend that as long as you have the heads off the car and your doing the swap that you look into aftermarket cams. Also never forget to keep your long term goals in mind when building a car. If you plan on going f/i in the future take that into consideration now so you don't make it harder on yourself later.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

First, the link you posted was for the intake only. You still need the heads and swap kit. It is a good way to make some nice hp gains but as stated before, you may want to look into port and polishing heads, and cams. That way you only have you engine apart once. It will cost about 500-1000 dollars to do the basic head swap. I actually would think that by the time you are all said and done, it will cost between 1-2k. You will be happy with the increase but keep in mind about your plans for the car. I plan on Porting and polishing and camming my nonpi heads because they flow pretty good that way and I still get the label of being "nonPI." I think that it will give some nice surprises to those completely against the nonPI engine. That is my opinion of course. Good luck either way you go.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:00 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zoie_daGT

First, the link you posted was for the intake only. You still need the heads and swap kit. It is a good way to make some nice hp gains but as stated before, you may want to look into port and polishing heads, and cams. That way you only have you engine apart once. It will cost about 500-1000 dollars to do the basic head swap. I actually would think that by the time you are all said and done, it will cost between 1-2k. You will be happy with the increase but keep in mind about your plans for the car. I plan on Porting and polishing and camming my nonpi heads because they flow pretty good that way and I still get the label of being "nonPI." I think that it will give some nice surprises to those completely against the nonPI engine. That is my opinion of course. Good luck either way you go.
I think there's an echo in here
Old 05-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

hahahahah Right when I finished typing that I looked at your post and thought the same thing. I just wanted to post since I took all that time to type it out. If you want, I will edit and cite you in my response or post a works cited w/ you in it. hahahaa

Quick Reply: PI swap