4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

brakes seizing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:38 PM
fordluver

Default brakes seizing?

i just go a 96 mustang Gt with 94,000mi it was working fine till one day i went for a little drive and wanted to check out the antilock brakes cuz i never had them befor so i was going about 40 and pinned the brakes (i will say they are inpresive) any way so i thought every thing was fine. then a little later i decide to pull the e-brake and slide around a corner that went ok and i thought every thing was fine but when i got home the right rear brake was smoking pretty good. i took it to a little shop and they said it was probably the master cylinder or the hydrolc booster and that it's not doing it now but i should take it to the ford dealer. well i got hame and the left disk was not hot but the right was hot so i jacked it up and the left turns freer than the right. any ideas whats wrong? is it just the caplir? should i take it to ford? dont really make that kind of money to just take it to ford but i want my brakes to work.
TIA
-Jeff
Old 05-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: brakes seizing?

Yanked the E-brake around a turn?

What in the world would possess you to do something like htat?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:58 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

forced skid - poor mans drift :P
Old 05-27-2006, 12:13 AM
statichead2k
1st Gear Member

Funny, I usually use my throttle to go sideways around corners. I use the hand brake to keep the car from rolling away when I park it. [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Seriously though. Do you have a stuck e-brake cable? That is what it sounds like to me.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:26 AM
fordluver

ok ok so maybe not the greatest thing to do but i wasn't asking if you like how i drive. and are you telling me u have NEVER pulled the e-brake while driving? i dont do it much (only twice i can think of) thanks statichead2k i had thought of that, how would i check it? i know it lets go at least some because it doesn't drift at all when it's on and it will drift when i take it off. thanks for any help
Old 05-27-2006, 01:43 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

and are you telling me u have NEVER pulled the e-brake while driving?
I can honestly say, that I have NEVER pulled the e-brake while driving my Mustang.

The only time I have ever used the e-brake while driving was when I owned my 89 Ford Probe back in High School. I did a couple times on snowy days in a huge, completely empty baseball stadium parking lot. I used it to do a 180, then threw it in reverse while still moving about 20mph, drove in reverse for several seconds, then used it again to rotate the vehicle around again and then slid sideways to the exit and left the parking lot going straight. Did this a few times that time it snowed.

Other than that, I have never done it again. Doing it on the street on dry pavement is a bad decision, just as bad as wet or snowy.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:29 PM
statichead2k
1st Gear Member

I also have not pulled the brake while moving in my mustang. However, I have done it.
I had a old 82 honda beater when I was in college and we used to take it out on the back dirt roads and haul ***, spin, ebrake drifting, you know real rally stuff
What a blast. I am sure that we nearly died multiple times, geez kids are dumb.

As fas as checking the cables, put rear on jack stands, pull the rear wheels, have some one pull and release the brake for you.

Make sure the cable lets go of both calipers about the same.
You can push the lever on the sticking side to help the cable let go.
If the cable is sticking in the sleeve, inspect it real good to make sure that it is not damaged, then use some PB blaster or similar juice to free up the cable in the sleeve.
If it was me I would replace the cable to make sure it got done right.
I wouldn't want that coming back when I least expected it.
Also if the brakes have been dragging and heating up the rotor, it might be a good time to think about changing the rear pads and surfacing or replacing the rotors.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I did that in an 85 Sunbird and put flat spots on both the rear tires. Not a good idea when it's dry.
If the parking break has not been used for a while sometimes when you pull it the cable will seize like statichead2k said.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

If the brake fluid hasn't been changed in awhile you could have a caliper that's not releasing all the way.This happens because the brake fluid draws moisture and can cause the calipers to corrode from the inside out.Brake fluid retains moisture so that you can get any water out of the system by just draining the fluid and replacing it with new.If it didn't,moisure would pool in the low points of the brake system and be impossible to get out without dissasembling the entire system.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:21 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

If the brake fluid hasn't been changed in awhile you could have a caliper that's not releasing all the way.This happens because the brake fluid draws moisture and can cause the calipers to corrode from the inside out.Brake fluid retains moisture so that you can get any water out of the system by just draining the fluid and replacing it with new.If it didn't,moisure would pool in the low points of the brake system and be impossible to get out without dissasembling the entire system.
the ebrake is manual. did it feel like evertime you let off the guys you were descelorating faster the normal?

Quick Reply: brakes seizing?