4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ram air

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

Default ram air

compared to a cai? no. but if you're going for looks and performance i think its a good *** buy.</P>

EDIT: what would be cool isa stock hood lookalike that took in air...oh boy that would be cool! sleeper as hell!</P><edited><editID>Jugador</editID><editDate>37867.8440393519</editDate></edited>
Old 09-03-2003, 10:15 PM
frostymug
1st Gear Member

Default ram air

there is a look difference. Performance-wise either a CAI or ram air work on the same principle, drawing cooler air from outside the engine bay. Neither does anymore than the other to "ram" air into the engine. If anything I'd guess that CAI is probably a little better due to the fact that it has been tuned more and does not have to be stylish to look decent outside the car
Old 09-03-2003, 10:18 PM
frostymug
1st Gear Member

Default ram air

that would be pretty trick to have a smooth stock hood that drew in air through no vents. Operate on the PFM principle.</P>

There are people who have opened the vents on the sides of the SN95 hood and attempted to build intakes from them with limited success.</P>
Old 09-03-2003, 10:18 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default ram air

Originally Posted by wei462

<FONT size=2>http://www.vetteguru.com/ramair/</FONT></P>

This is a web site that I found on another forum that I am on. </P>

</P>

Yea its an interesting writup, its too bad that its fundamentally flawed. The guy obviously is upset that his car doesnt have a ram air setup lmao...</P>

At any rate, the truth of the matter is that not only does volume matter, but as the retard that wrote that article up forgot to realize, is that velocity is the key to moving air and getting volume, not density. There aint no way that any ram air can increase the density of air as he pointed out, but... duh! Velocity is the key!</P>

I hate people with the "Im an expert and Ill throw out big words to make you think so attitude". Do you port heads to increase density of the air? WTF lol NO.</P>

Ram air works by increasing velocity by increasing the pressure of the outside air at high wind speeds. But, because the amount of air the motor takes in isnt usually hamperedbythe plenum or intake runners, it is not very effective. At higher speeds (above 50 mph) ram air will work. Even at 100mph you will probably only get a few HP difference. But it still works.</P>

Whew that was alotta typing </P><edited><editID>mdvaldosta</editID><editDate>37867.8472337963</editDate></edited>
Old 09-03-2003, 10:38 PM
InMyRearView
1st Gear Member

Default ram air

Well, I cant speak for anyone else, but my ram air works. As I said before, theres no earth moving HP increase, but it is noticeable
Old 09-03-2003, 10:51 PM
InMyRearView
1st Gear Member

Default ram air

Also, in some cases, ram airs can increase,or improve air density. However, it probably wont be the case on a mustang since its air filter is placed in a housing directly next to the fenderwell that has a 5 or 6in opening. Ive seen cars where the air intake filter is located in a way that it will draw a lot of hot air from the engine compartment. As everyone should know, colder air is denser. In the case a ram air would draw in denser outside air.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:07 AM
frostymug
1st Gear Member

Default ram air

Ram air will NOT work by increaing velocity by increasing the pressure of the outside air.</P>

Fluid Dynamics. Bernoulli's Principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure it exerts will decrease. Inversely proportional.</P>
Old 09-04-2003, 12:47 AM
InMyRearView
1st Gear Member

Default ram air

To prove that a ram air does have benefits, go to:</P>

www.fordmuscle.com</P>

click on the Tech Department tab. On the left hand side under Engine, select induction. Go to the article titled "Just Blowing Hot Air." The test results speak for themselves.</P>
Old 09-04-2003, 01:00 AM
frostymug
1st Gear Member

Default ram air

My point was more along the lines of someone claiming that another's argument was fundamentally flawed and then backing up that claim with an argument that was fundamentally flawed.</P>

Also keep in mind that ram air is always going to be much more effective on a carbureted engine due to the fact that the compensation is almost immediate vs. a fuel injected engine having a computer react and adjust. Taken on the flip side a carbureted engine will react more negatively to a dirty filter than an injected one.</P>

I personally like the ram air look and will most likely install one, I am not anti ram air. Of course, if I expect to knock off a few tenths I'll remove my wing at the same time.</P>
Old 09-04-2003, 02:10 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default ram air

nice story one thing is when you " ram air" your cooling the air...one thing is right a big open going to a smaller one does help but as you compress air so to speak it heats up the "ram air" is use to cool the compress air affect....has anyone seem the spliter on the intake track for the z-28 they sell?</P>

the computer does wart off some of the effect as stated the carb will really benifit...the key is to just give the engine the most unrestricted smooth flow intake track you can</P>

Quick Reply: ram air