4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

O/R Midpipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:41 AM
JJones_86
2nd Gear Member

Default O/R Midpipe Question

Has anyone ever gotten in trouble by the law for having an O/R mid pipe? If so, what happened as your punishment? I hear you can get a $10,000 fine, but what do they actually do? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 AM
White2000GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: O/R Midpipe Question

$10,000 fine sounds mighty steep to me. Still, I would check and see what the laws are in your state before purchasing and installing one. Better to be safe than sorry I guess.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 AM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

I have had an o/r midpipe for about a year.. never had any trouble.... the guy I was talking to at the local shop (in florida) that I bought it from said that he was targeted by this one cop in his neighborhood for a few weeks but the cop just gave him a couple of warnings.. then I guess he just got tired of it and stopped bothering him.. because that is all that came of it.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:41 PM
NORTON98
2nd Gear Member

I have had an o/r midpipe for about a year.. never had any trouble.... the guy I was talking to at the local shop (in florida) that I bought it from said that he was targeted by this one cop in his neighborhood for a few weeks but the cop just gave him a couple of warnings.. then I guess he just got tired of it and stopped bothering him.. because that is all that came of it.
I dont think that the law is that easy to avoid. Once your caught with no cats, you will get a fix-it ticket and it will only get worse if you avoid it. Thats at least how it is in CA, cops can be a pill some times...What are the emission requirments like in Florida?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NORTON98

I dont think that the law is that easy to avoid. Once your caught with no cats, you will get a fix-it ticket and it will only get worse if you avoid it. Thats at least how it is in CA, cops can be a pill some times...What are the emission requirments like in Florida?

in Florida it's still against the law to remove the cats but there is no emission testing so things aren’t as strictly enforced as in cali... who has one of the strictest emissions standards in the country.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

it'd be hard to think you'd ever get caught. show me a cop down on his hands and knees under the car checking for a cat, and I'll show you the tooth fairy.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:28 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

it'd be hard to think you'd ever get caught. show me a cop down on his hands and knees under the car checking for a cat, and I'll show you the tooth fairy.
here they use mirrors lol

I was talkin to a cop once who happened to be into mustangs and he asked me to start my car up so he could hear it so i did and revved it a little and he asked me if i had cats on there, and i didnt want to lie to him so i was just like yeah... and there was a pause and hes like, yeah i dont have any on mine either lol. But thats kinda rare, i think here they just give you a fixit ticket but I'm not sure.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

I haven't had cats on mine since i bought it 10 months ago, I live in NV, where there is emissions, but my car is registered in NM where there is none, I've never been stopped once. I don't think a cop can force you to start your car for them to hear your exhaust so if they ask you to, just tell them no.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:36 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

if the rest of your exhaust is pretty quiet, like you got lm2s or something, you should be all set to not get too much attention, i hated the sound of mine at wot so i put my catted h back on. just dont floor it around town cause the o/h is quite a bit louder than a catted. i got the blower to make up for the slight drop in sound when i took mine off.