4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please

I am new and doing a LOT of research and searching. I am interested in opinions of the two combo's I mentioned. The Accufab appears to have nicer machining and finish while the BBK is a well known name and is $100. cheaper. Also Mustangtuning has a CAI for just $85. and how much difference is there between CAI's? I read they are only good for 2-4RWHP as it is so why spend more, any reason? I have a '99 Convertible w/auto tranny. Not in the title but RPMoutlet has gears and tuners for $449. I am still not totally clear on the tuners but this is a good price. Thanks for helping as I will be having a lot of questions so I do this right the first time! Mark
Old 06-18-2006, 12:06 PM
disgustipated
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please

Get the Accufab. If I had it to do over again, that's what I would have gone with. As far as the CAI, yeah they are all pretty much the same. I've heard good things about the JLT though.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

personally i cant see spending the extra money on accufab. you will see similar gains with any brand probably.

nanaki on the forums actually saw a 1 or 2 rwhp improvement with the mac over the accufab i believe. its pretty much just an extra $100 for bling...which isnt worth it IMO...id rather put that money towards another part.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:00 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Either one is good, like i said in your other post. I originally paid for the BBK set, but Rpmoutlet had some shipping issues, and customer service issues so they upgraded me to an accufab. I didn't want to spend the extra 100$ for maybe 1rwhp with "bling", but I got it anyway. What don't you get about the tuner?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:11 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Save your money and get some gears. You will notice a bigger difference in acceleration than with a aftermarket TB/Plenum.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:02 PM
JT76

i have an accufab plenum and 75mm Throttle body, very happy with it
Old 06-18-2006, 06:48 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxxEither one is good, like i said in your other post. I originally paid for the BBK set, but Rpmoutlet had some shipping issues, and customer service issues so they upgraded me to an accufab. I didn't want to spend the extra 100$ for maybe 1rwhp with "bling", but I got it anyway. What don't you get about the tuner?
I sold my wideband from the Talon so I want a tuner that has 3 "canned" tunes I guess that do not require me to do any modifications to. One for mileage should I take a road trip and one each for 91 and 93+ octanes. I do not want to have to play with timing or air/fuel ratio's. Being an automatic I do want sharper shifts. RPMoutlet has the deal for gears and a tuner but which of the 2 tuners is what I need? I would like to call the companies that make the tuners and talk to them but perhaps the vendors have the info I need. Mark
PS: I need to see if a fluid change fixes the tranny shudder first or I may need a converter and the converter does NOT have a plug. Thanks, mark
PS#2: BBK 75mm TB/plenum for $299.!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:02 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

have you considered getting option D from rmpoutlet? i've been looking into it, anyone have info on how well this works? i like the C&L plenum best.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:28 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: geetee03have you considered getting option D from rmpoutlet? i've been looking into it, anyone have info on how well this works? i like the C&L plenum best.
Honestly that would be my last choice. I love option "B" if only I could find a shop to install the gears and knew what they were doing so they didn't whine like mad!
If all of the TB/plenum's are equal how about the Professional unit for $199.? I really like the Accufab but the BBK at a $100. savings is very tempting.
Like I have been saying I am new and just went through a $15K loss at least from cracking the block in my Talon so I have to be sure I get the best part the first time. 4.10 gears and the tuner for $449. is awesome. I just need to learn more about the tuners. Option "D" has a larger MAF? 85mm but it goes down to a 2.5" pipe? Not sure we would benefit from that especially for the cost. Mustandtuning has a CAI for $85. and the TB/plenum could be had for $199. or $299. for the BBK. Question is do we need the MAF or what it's called on these cars? mark
Old 06-19-2006, 12:36 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

i was told by a few good sources that the MAF's are useless for bolt on cars... I'd go with atleast BBK - no pro products. Again about the tuners... you should find a speed shop near you and find out what they use. This way if you really do go with a dyno tune in the future like if you put on FI, Cams, Nitrous, etc., you are compatible with your shop.. The tuner will crispen your shifts, as will a shift kit and a stall converter this way you can slam it at higher rpms once you get suspension to handle that...

Quick Reply: TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please