4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First "soft" mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Swiss White Cobra
1st Gear Member

Default First "soft" mods

Hi folks

I'm from Switzerland and a new owner of a 1996 Cobra. It's very funny to drive the car but i think i will spend money for some modifications.

What i have already:
- lowered with lesfjördes springs... i never heard from them. I think i will replace them also
- K&N FIPK (not installed now... fu****g laws here)
- Short Shifter (not installed now because i do not know from which manufacter it is)
- H&R Wheel Spacers (not installed now) - i heard it is not good to install them... what do you folks mean?

Mods i'm planed:
- new gears: 4.10 from Ford Racing
- new exhaust (the original one is to quiet ) - which exhaust have the best sound between 500 - 3000RPM? I preferd a BORLA exhaust... but there is NO BORLA System available. Is that correct????? I wanna hear a deep V8 Sound and no "back-shooting" when i shift or left the right foot from the pedal. Maybe i need a X-Pipe?
- new 18" rims: 18x9 for the front & 18x10 in the back. I would like to see this ones on my car: Black Deep Dish FR500 Wheel
What size do you recommend for these wheels?
- Flywheel
- Clutch from SPEC, Stage 1
- 180° Thermostat
- Steeda Underdrive Pulleys

Things i do not know, what are the good for or what benefit i will get from these stuff:
- Throttle Body - i never saw a aftermark one for a Cobra... why? Does my Cobra have a good one?
- Steeda 4.6L Timinig Adjuster
- Ford FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft for 96-98 Cobra

OK... any comments to this mods?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Swiss White Cobra
1st Gear Member

Default RE: First "soft" mods

I'm sorry... wrong sub-Forum. Can someone from the admins change it? =)
Old 06-22-2006, 09:02 PM
CarlessAndy
2nd Gear Member

Your in the right forum. You seem to be very particular about brand names. As for your wheel spacers it will give it a better look but just solve that with new wheels. 4.10's are good to have. The Throttle body is not worth the extra cash for the 1 or 2 hp especially with out a Cold air intake. Driveshaft would be cool but not really needed. Focus on your exhaust. Try getting a catless h pipe and see how you like that. If you want it really loud get long tube headers and a catback too.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Swiss White Cobra
1st Gear Member

Hi CarLessAndy

OK, i also think new wheels will fit better than spacers. Do you know what this H&R spacers cost? THan i will sell them soon.

4.10 ... all Mustang & Cobra owners said: Install 4.10 & a Short Shifter & you will feel much more of the Power. Only 1 owner said: Install 4.30 if you never install a supercharger or Turbo. Is that a correct statement?

Throttle Body is dropped from the list.

Hmm... but what does a driveshaft?

Exhaust we have a problem here in Switzerland: They are very tight!! But a H-Pipe sounds good. Do you have a online store which sells H-Pipes? I also wanna install a new catback System. I have to these 3:
Bassani (700 DOllar)
Flowmaster (400 Dollar)
Dynomax (850 Dollar)
Magnaflow (500 Dollar)

I need stainless because of the rust...
Old 06-23-2006, 10:46 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Swiss White Cobra

Hi CarLessAndy

OK, i also think new wheels will fit better than spacers. Do you know what this H&R spacers cost? THan i will sell them soon.

4.10 ... all Mustang & Cobra owners said: Install 4.10 & a Short Shifter & you will feel much more of the Power. Only 1 owner said: Install 4.30 if you never install a supercharger or Turbo. Is that a correct statement?

Exhaust we have a problem here in Switzerland: They are very tight!! But a H-Pipe sounds good. Do you have a online store which sells H-Pipes? I also wanna install a new catback System. I have to these 3:
Bassani (700 DOllar)
Flowmaster (400 Dollar)
Dynomax (850 Dollar)
Magnaflow (500 Dollar)

you should add slp in there. stainless steal and they sell for a very good price. you might not like the sound like alot of peaple on hear will bash on but i sure love it. check out some clips
Old 06-23-2006, 11:47 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Swiss White Cobra

Hi CarLessAndy

Bassani (700 DOllar)
Flowmaster (400 Dollar)
Dynomax (850 Dollar)
Magnaflow (500 Dollar)

Definatly go with 4.10's for our car's.. the t-45 transmission and 4.30's is probably a bit to much if you do any highway driving.. in the newer stangs with the different tranny they work fine in.
I have 4.10's in my 97 cobra and love them.

Exhaust, just go to this link and listen to exhaust and get what you like. THere is very minimal hp difference in exhaust systems, so go by the sound more then anything else.

Also, wider tires are a big plus... if you have wider rims/tires you can hook a LOT better.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Swiss White Cobra
1st Gear Member

@wwmost
Thanks for the vid. I like the sound but it sounds more than a bike than a V8 car... and i'm searching a V8 bubbling exhausst. But thank you very much!! =)

@HaV
Thanks for the site! Very good clips... i will have a nice day now in listening to exhaust.

I will install 9x18 & 10x18 on my Cobra... i only have to figure out which one i will get.

Did you had problems to fit 275 on the original wheels? I have 255/40/17 now.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:34 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

i have SLP lm2 check out mi signature, yours will be more "blubly" since you have a cobra (4V) but it will be around that same sound (welll without the x pipe), for the wheels 9x18 & 10x18 is a good combo, and i have 275 in my rear tires never had any problems with them

Old 06-23-2006, 12:46 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: d3mon

i have SLP lm2 check out mi signature, yours will be more "blubly" since you have a cobra (4V) but it will be around that same sound (welll without the x pipe), for the wheels 9x18 & 10x18 is a good combo, and i have 275 in my rear tires never had any problems with them

18x9 and 18x10
Old 06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Swiss White Cobra
1st Gear Member

@d3mon
REALLY nice looking car! =D Will listen to the sound asap! - update: Sounds reeeeeally nice!! Thats what i expect!

The wheel combo will make my Cobra looking much better than in the 96-98 Cobra the rear wheels are not wide enough to fill the... the... whole where the wheel is fit. Do you know what i mean? [&:]

@wwmost
Hmmm... is it important?

Quick Reply: First "soft" mods