4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Strange noise below the engine??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:59 PM
karmstrong_2
2nd Gear Member

Default Strange noise below the engine??

I was driving today and whenever I'm in 2nd 3rd or 4th gear and I accell some what hard I hear a strange noise that sounds very much like it's coming from underneath the engine. I would say that it sounds very much like....something rattling inside a pipe. I was thinking that maybe a convertor is going bad or something. Car seems to run strong and it only makes this noise in those gears under hard acceleration. I know it's not a good description but if anyone has heard this same thing I would appreciate some help. Thanks a lot!

Just a little more info...it never makes this noise when driving casually and only when I accelerate hard.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:00 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Strange noise below the engine??

Sounds like your synchros are going bad. [:@]
Old 06-29-2006, 10:03 PM
karmstrong_2
2nd Gear Member

I don't like the sound of that...what exactly does that mean? Something with the drivetrain?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:05 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Its a trans problem. Probly gonna need a rebuild.[:@]
Old 06-29-2006, 10:08 PM
karmstrong_2
2nd Gear Member

Not good [&:] Well maybe that explains something....I have a lot of trouble getting into reverse. It barely ever goes in on the first try and I have to let out the clutch and slam it into reverse and everytime I do that it grinds going into reverse. I've also noticed that I have a lot of trouble shifting into second sometimes and I'm not a bad driver so I don't think that I'm just missing it. It just feels like it doesn't go in...ohhh man I hope it's not that
Old 06-29-2006, 10:14 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

I have that same noise on my 98 everytime when i accelerate and when it decelerates i hear a crakling noise....sometimes but its only when i let off the accelerator it could be 2 things with mine, it makes that noise becuase i have no cats on my car and i think its just the exhaust gases or i noticed today that my belt is shredding and it was making that crackling noise because the rubber parts were flying everywhere....i think my pullys need to be aligned becuase this is my third belt i'm going through in the past three months and i keep buying the most expensive belt (gaterbacks)
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: karmstrong_2

Not good [&:] Well maybe that explains something....I have a lot of trouble getting into reverse. It barely ever goes in on the first try and I have to let out the clutch and slam it into reverse and everytime I do that it grinds going into reverse. I've also noticed that I have a lot of trouble shifting into second sometimes and I'm not a bad driver so I don't think that I'm just missing it. It just feels like it doesn't go in...ohhh man I hope it's not that
Sorry man but it really sounds like thats your problem.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:35 PM
karmstrong_2
2nd Gear Member

I had a 95 Probe before this and the tranny was shot...had to rebuild it 3 times and it cost over $2000 when all was said and done. Is that what I'm looking at again?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:37 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

is that normal? bud you might be too hard on a stick

I had a 95 Probe before this and the tranny was shot...had to rebuild it 3 times and it cost over $2000 when all was said and done. Is that what I'm looking at again?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:42 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Pretty much so.

Quick Reply: Strange noise below the engine??