4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:53 AM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Question!

when i bought my 98 GT it already had flowmasters umm.. i think an h-pipe not to sure and all cats are removed..my exhaust was cut after the mufflers my tail pipes are still there, there just not welded to the mufflers if i were to weld the mufflers to the tail pipe would the sound change? bad or good? cause right now its really deep and loud
Old 07-02-2006, 06:21 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Question!

It will definitely change.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:25 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

get a piece of pipe to aim the few inches of metal after the muffer DOWN. this is called a Dump. it makes the sound reverb off the ground and should magnify the sound you already have. Then just take those tips off and sell them to a v6 er.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:26 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

So are you saying that there is a gap between the tailpipes and the mufflers? If so, than you are losing alot of power. Go get them things welded back together.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:28 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

how do you figure he is losing power?
Old 07-02-2006, 06:34 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SXGT

how do you figure he is losing power?
If he has a gap between the mufflers and tailpipes, like their not connecting and air is flowing out of them, he is gonna be losing power. Just like when I installed my o/r h-pipe, I only got it have way finished because I needed another tool and the shops were closed, so I drove around with a cap between my h-pipe and catback/tailpipes, whatever you wanna call it, and that car felt so damn sluggish and slow.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:39 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

I dont think anything after the mufflers matters thats my personal oppinion. Tips dont create back pressure or reduce any flow that i could imagine. If the cut is before the muffers ok i can see that doing something but not after them.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:41 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

I dont think anything after the mufflers matters thats my personal oppinion. Tips dont create back pressure or reduce any flow that i could imagine. If the cut is before the muffers ok i can see that doing something but not after them.
I take it that is true. The tailpipes really cant create that much if any back pressure. I was thinking of taking off all my exhaust after the o/r h-pipe, would that reduce power? I know it would be loud.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:48 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

I think it would sound like poop without mufflers. you may loose torque from it.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:50 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

I take it that is true. The tailpipes really cant create that much if any back pressure. I was thinking of taking off all my exhaust after the o/r h-pipe, would that reduce power? I know it would be loud.
You will probably gain a little power and lose some tq. I dynoed mine with dumps, then put my stock tail pipes back on and dynoed again. I picked up almost 30 ft lbs of tq. Now granted, the tail pipes were stock so with the smaller diameter, some back pressure was created, therefor increasing tq.

Quick Reply: Question!