4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

K&N or MAC Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:48 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: K&N or MAC Cold Air Intake

ORIGINAL: OV10stang

Just installed this yesterday. Feels better than Granetelli tube w/K&N I had before. Best dyno with previous setup was 251hp 281tq. I'll be on the dyno soon, I'll post here with the results. Only problem I had on install was the rubber coupler to the T/B was made too small(for the stock t/b, I've got a 75mm now) so I had to put a bigger one on, already had one laying around so wasn't a real problem for me. Airbox draws air from the fenderwell as well as a nice shot from behind the headlight, good for the drags with the headlight removed.....here's a pic. sbfilters.com is where you'll find this one, also rpmoutlet.com.

thats not a bad looking kit. I like the way it shields the air from the engine bay.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:20 AM
OV10stang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

ORIGINAL: OV10stang

Just installed this yesterday. Feels better than Granetelli tube w/K&N I had before. Best dyno with previous setup was 251hp 281tq. I'll be on the dyno soon, I'll post here with the results. Only problem I had on install was the rubber coupler to the T/B was made too small(for the stock t/b, I've got a 75mm now) so I had to put a bigger one on, already had one laying around so wasn't a real problem for me. Airbox draws air from the fenderwell as well as a nice shot from behind the headlight, good for the drags with the headlight removed.....here's a pic. sbfilters.com is where you'll find this one, also rpmoutlet.com.

thats not a bad looking kit. I like the way it shields the air from the engine bay.
That's exactly why I got it. My first kit was a Mac, had an s-tube going into the fenderwell, hurt me on power a little. Second kit was better on power with the hood open on the dyno, but I knew I was losing power with the hood closed(data logged with my SCT Xcal2 showed my intake temp hot as hell). I could feel a difference right away in the lower rpm's with the S&B, not sure what it will do on top....find out soon! Quality of the kit is pretty good, the lid fit well, unlike the Volant I had in my truck a while back.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:57 AM
bullitt5561
2nd Gear Member

I like that Granetelli but the JLT is sick when you paint it to match the engine compartment and the MAC is sick if your chromed out under the hood.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:59 AM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

UPR makes one that is a reasonable price. If you ask me they are all the same, you are just paying more for the name. Comes with filter and everything. Installed in like 45 min. Cant remember what I paid for it but it wasnt over $200
Old 07-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

just get whatever one you think looks better. the performance gains is basically the same on all of them. the metal does not make a difference, the air temp does not increase, the air is moving way to fast to be affected by the heat up of the metal. just get whichever looks better to you.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:29 AM
02yellowGT
1st Gear Member

So what is the consus on the JLT vs K&N vs SC debate? I like the idea of having the JLT painted to match the car, but since I am going with a yellow and black theme, then all of those will work. I know everyone will recomend the one they have, but has anyone had expirence with more than one of the above 3?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:05 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

I have a MAC, goes into the fenderwell. I dont have exact numbers since I have yet to go to the dyno again but I definitely felt a difference between my stock intake and the MAC. When I get new numbers I'll post em up.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:11 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Albizo66

just get whatever one you think looks better. the performance gains is basically the same on all of them. the metal does not make a difference, the air temp does not increase, the air is moving way to fast to be affected by the heat up of the metal. just get whichever looks better to you.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:46 AM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

I like the MAC.. I think that 'S' tube is fine for feeding it out into the fender.. Easy flowing and not sucking the engine bay hot air..

MAC FTW IMO..
Old 07-05-2006, 11:45 PM
OV10stang
1st Gear Member

Ok, here's the numbers on the S&B intake: same numbers on the dyno as before: 251hp, 281tq......which is no surprise, because the hood is open when doing a pull. At the track though, it showed: gained .1 and another mph. Whatever you get, make sure it's a fenderwell or an airbox design like mine.

Quick Reply: K&N or MAC Cold Air Intake