4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine ticking noise *vid*

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:31 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine ticking noise *vid*

Click here to watch Engine-Tick--

Had this weird very quiet low pitched tick the year now I've owned the car. It only does it when it's cold and totally goes away when it's warm.

Lately, I've been getting a tick once the car is WARM, opposite of before. It ONLY happens when I'm just BARELY on the gas, and above 2k rpm, like you see in the vid. If I give it anymore gas than JUST a little bit, the noise goes away.

Little background - had the engine out the beginning of May and replaced the rod bearings a piston (new rings and wrist pin on that piston) and replaced all the gaskets. I took the car to Ford a week ago and they say they "think" it "might be" a timing chain tensioner. Idiots.

It sounds a little more serious to me. It's not rod knock because it's not there all the time. Could this be valve train noise? It's just weird that it goes away as soon as I give it any more than a little bit of gas.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine ticking noise *vid*

very odd noise, im not quite familiar w/. any shops that know about mod motors around you? i'd ask them. hopefully someone here with more knowledge about out motors can pin-point it, its definitely distinct. sounds like sticking a pen in a fan while its spinning. but a lil quieter.

it didnt seem to increase with rpms, i may be wrong, you would know best. if it does increase w/ rpms , i would definitely say its something in the valvetrain/rotating assembly. if its not, i wouldnt think its your valve train. maybe im wrong, but i hope that helps.

get a mechanics ear and find out exactly where its coming from. is it louder inside than outside? does it happen in gear and out. i know it sucks diagnosing engines, nobody wants to dish out 1-2 grand for repairs.

g/l getting this solved.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:00 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yeah it sounds like something from the engine... have you checked the tensioner? when those go bad they make all kinds of noises

and why would they replace only the rings and stuff on that one piston?....... warranty work?
Old 07-19-2006, 02:07 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

That is *not* a good sound.

My buddy's engine sounded the same way. You need a complete rebuild my friend, that engine is going to tear itself apart.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:08 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

at that point he's in a similar boat as me. If you are gonna go through the trouble of fixing the complete engine, may as well upgrade at least a little
Old 07-19-2006, 03:15 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

maybe when he had the engine out, and if he did the work himself, he didnt do it quite properly eh? just an opinion. i wouldnt trust my self with a mod motor, unless i did some HEFTY learning.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
krm486
3rd Gear Member

ewww. That sounds bad. I'd stop driving it before it blows. I'm guessing you dont have a warranty?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:46 AM
mcget29
2nd Gear Member

Sounds the same as when i needed a new wrist pin..
Old 07-19-2006, 12:09 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Yea I did all the work myself but I've rebuilt a few engines and these mod motors are a breeze. The one piston/rings/wrist pin was replaced because it turns out the idiot before me had a s/c on it and destroyed the ring lands. Had to replace that cylinder basically and re-hone that cylinder as well. I doubt the wrist pin went bad in that cylinder since it came from Ford with the new piston.

And actually, the car ran better after I did the rebuild. I went up 5 mpg, and when it was apart, I removed big chunks of DUCT TAPE from the oil pan, and un-clogged the oil pickup tube screen that was half covered in junk including gobs of silicone that the moron had plastered on the engine at all the gasket mating surfaces. I started the engine right up after the rebuild and haven't had to touch it since besides an oil change two days after the rebuild.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:56 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

ttt one time

Quick Reply: Engine ticking noise *vid*