4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is there an X Pipe for me???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:13 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

Default Is there an X Pipe for me???

I want an H pipe but I have to have Cats on it. I was having a hard time finding a H pipe with cats. Also since the Stock mid pipe on my stang is a H pipe, would it even do a difference if I bought an aftermarket H with cats on it? Will it sound a lot louder? I want louder but not raspy. I have even thought about getting an o/r H with MIL's but it is a huge hassle switching back and forth every 2 years for E-check. Anyways does a catted X make a huge difference for sound and performance? I have American thunder Flowmasters, Will the catted X take away from my deep rumble? Wich brand has the nicest deepest rumble. I dont want that RASPY RICE BURNER SOUND!!
After answering all these questions answer one question below. Thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated!!

Help me out guys!! SOUND CLIPS WOULD BE AWESOME ONLY IF YOU HAVE AMERICAN THUNDER FLOWMASTERS SINCE IT IS WHAT I HAVE. Without aftermarket headers.

Would you get an H with cats? If so what brand and where to buy?

Would you get an X with cats? If so what brand and where to buy?

Would you get a o/r H w/ MIL? If so what brand and where to buy?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is there an X Pipe for me???

go with a bassani x pipe..you can get it with or without cats. you can find them on ebay and probably alot of mustang performance dealers
Old 08-08-2006, 10:44 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

do you have the bassanni? or have you heard the bassanni with flowmasters and stock headers?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:47 PM
99blackout
2nd Gear Member

i have the same exhaust as u and since its chambered...the rule is to get an h....not everyone does this but most do....i think you should get an o/r h and get a tuner to turn off the o2 sensors....plus you can use a tuner for some other helpful things...like gears
Any o/r h pipe would make it sound deeper...mac and bbk are good brands...but there other brands out there that are good too....it just matters your price range
Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

I cant afford both mid pipe and tuner right now. What about MIL's do they work good? Ok i am thinking H, would shorty headers give me a better sound without the midpipe or would the H be better for sound without the Shortys?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

If you want to avoid rasp, then you will want a catted mid pipe, although the o/r h pipes are less raspy than o/r x pipes.

H pipes are a little better for low end power while x pipes are better above 4K where you make most of your power anyway.

MAC, MRT, and JBA make catted H pipes

MAC makes a catted Pro Chamber (not quite an H or an X)

MagnaFlow makes a catted X (as well as other companies)
Old 08-08-2006, 10:55 PM
MellowYellow01
1st Gear Member

bassani xpipe/with cats is the way to go ..I had the same problem in my county with emissions.The bassani with the mac has a nice low tone.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:55 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

I hate decisions!!! I dont know if I want a X pipe or H pipe....lol.....
Old 08-08-2006, 11:55 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

H pipe if you want an old school musclecar sound Deep and Loud .. X if you want to sound like 90 percent of other mustangs on the road.

I love the sound of xpipes, but something about the rumble of the H that just gets me going lol...

Old 08-09-2006, 12:00 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

I just put on Bassini X-pipes w/ cats & LM II's. The x-pipes comes w/ the OR pipe & the clamping system is great. You should be able to change cats to OR in about 15 mins.
The sound is awesome!!!!!! When I left a cruise in tonight & accelerated the heads turned. Im gonna post a clip when I get hold of a camera.

Quick Reply: Is there an X Pipe for me???