4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

truth about pullies?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 12:29 AM
D1g1tal V3n0m
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: truth about pullies?

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta
I'm one of those people. Im sure for every "mag article, personal experience, etc" you can come up with showing 3hp gains I will come up with 5 showing more". Man I've just read 2 posts by you in different threads, both disagreeing with what people - both were disagreeing with very good points.

And instead of cutting down our forums with the "knowledgeable and fastest Mustangs in the nation" crap - thats just lame. Maybe you come here because you feel inferior on other more "knowledgable and faster Mustang" forums. I can tell you with great certainty that you're in the minority thinking pulley's are a poor choice of upgrades on a Mustang. That is an opinion. If you wanna play a cut-down game here I can assure you that you will not like the outcome.

Everyone has their own opinion, and I've yet to argue with you when we've disagreed - but you're kinda goin overboard with the cut-downs and disagreements. You really should consider some happy pills.
Cutting people down? Name calling? Not once did I call anyone a name or anything. My post was made because someone called my post BS. I have a simple right to prove my point.

My comment on the forums was sarcasm. I mean you don't even know what I meant by that or whom that was directed to. It also can be taken as my opinion. I have a right to express it. If you do not like my opinion then BLOCK all my posts from being seen or whatever you deem necessary. I couldn't care less either way.

I won't like the outcome of a name calling event with you? Haha you'd be more surprised then you might think. Then again I'm not making threats here about "I can own you on the net" now am I?

Not once did I say pullies are a bad mod I just said there are better things you can do on a 4.6 to gain more power. That statement is true is it not? If it were a 5.0 I would suggest pullies in a second as they do add good numbers to the 5.0 for the price.

Yellowstang worry about intake, exhaust, gears and things before pullies. You will notice a great deal of difference from these mods. Pullies can wait. They're not that hard to put in either in all honesty. Good luck with your ventures.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:46 AM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

I did think of a down side, if you decide to go supercharger you will have to take them off, also no one commented on the 3:73 gears if you are going to stay NA go 4:10, I did 3:73 and there is not much difference from factory, I was really dissapointed.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:15 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RJM02GTDrag

I did think of a down side, if you decide to go supercharger you will have to take them off, also no one commented on the 3:73 gears if you are going to stay NA go 4:10, I did 3:73 and there is not much difference from factory, I was really dissapointed.
Agreed, & what he said...cept I started w/the 4.10s
Old 06-22-2004, 02:00 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: yellowstang98

ok are underdrive pullies worth the money? or should you not even bother with them?
To answer your question, yes its worth the money. Are their other mods that will add more hp for a similar cost? Like D1g1tal was saying - yes their are. Like an off road mid-pipe, and gears (self install). CAI is close also. For the cost to hp gain pulleys are real close to the top IMO. Other things may yield more hp, but not for the $$.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:35 AM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

ok are underdrive pullies worth the money? or should you not even bother with them?
To answer your question, yes its worth the money. Are their other mods that will add more hp for a similar cost? Like D1g1tal was saying - yes their are. Like an off road mid-pipe, and gears (self install). CAI is close also. For the cost to hp gain pulleys are real close to the top IMO. Other things may yield more hp, but not for the $$.
i would never do CAI...yea you might get a little more pull from the better intake and yea the better tubing allows for the air to travel easier through the tube..but the bottom line is that you are pulling air from the same spot and wouldnt your your mass air sensor be the same size, makes more sense to me to do the mass air system and a CAI is about 2x as much as pullies and i already have the gears done, thanks though
Old 06-23-2004, 03:53 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

i would never do CAI...yea you might get a little more pull from the better intake and yea the better tubing allows for the air to travel easier through the tube..but the bottom line is that you are pulling air from the same spot and wouldnt your your mass air sensor be the same size, makes more sense to me to do the mass air system and a CAI is about 2x as much as pullies and i already have the gears done, thanks though
They make kits that replace both the CAI and the MAM. However C&L claims the CAI part does nothing, because there is more distance to travel from the filter to the MAM. C&Ls theory is to place the filter directly on the MAM with no travel, making the shortest possible air travel distance while still remaining in the stock position (in the engine bay). This is very debatable. Many people will agree, and many wont.

I would agree that you should do a MAM/inletpipe switch before pullys, but they are not really comparable in price. 150 or less for a set of U/D pullys is a steal. Even if it is only 5 RWHP thats still a pretty good HP/money ratio.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:41 AM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

yeah what he said