4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5.4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:05 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 5.4 swap

all in all its up to the cash... IMO if your going to do the swap. theres no point in getting another 4.6 block, when for a few bux more, you can get a 5.4. if your gonna get a new engine, it might aswell be the best.

the argument here for most people i think is... weather the SWAP is worth it, not what your swaping...

i personally think it would be kick *** to say i have a 302 or 330 in my car...

it may or may not make more power, but hey. its different. and that makes it worth it in itself
Old 08-28-2006, 02:17 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

Would it not be cheaper, (and more practical), to run a built dohc 4.6 with high boost? Lighter, higher revs and way more hp than a Lightning 5.4

Keep the 5.4's and 6.8's in the trucks.

Eventually, the added weight will cancel out the added power.

There is one reason to do a 5.4 or 6.8 swap: Torque. [sm=bling.gif] We all know that 4.6s suck for torque. Do the same bolt on mods to a 5.4 or 6.8 that you would to a 4.6 and your torque is well over 400. Shoot a 6.8 is already what like 450 trq and 300 hp stock. Thow a blower on there and call it a day! Its all about torque buddy. Thats why ppl do these swaps!!!! [sm=closed.gif]

(PS anyone who builds motors can tell you cast iron blocks arent that much heavier than alluminum blocks. And a cast iron block is stronger than even a forged alluminum block. Thats why ppl but cast iron blocks on REAL race applications. )
Old 08-28-2006, 02:18 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

I agree. I mean geez, if you're pulling the motor anyway.....Or what if you find one without an engine?!?!?!?!?!

I just have this nagging question about the engine management. These fuel injected, SOHC engines with there VCT and such - could get messy I think - what does it take to run them in another app? How can you electronically retro fit an 04 F-150 into an earlier model Mustang? Plug and play? Take the computer from the truck?

Now let's see if we can get some kick *** technical stuff going on in here.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:24 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Yeah you just need to steal all the right sensors too. A 5.4 is the exact same thing as a 4.6 just different pistons and bore and stroke etc. Longer size block. Im sure they make retrofit kits for the 5.4 and 6.8 but you just have to do your reasearch and call around. The DOHC's are gonna be a little bit harder but you just really have to know what you're doing. Besides why the F would anyone put in a 4v aviator engine in when you could get a cobra engine with more aggressive cams. Thats the one problem we run into is these motors are not made to rev high and race. They are cammed for torque and pulling and hauling. Its still power but its not gonna be as great as ppl think. You need to do a cam swap. Like i saw this thing a long time ago where the put a duramax 300 hp 550 trq and an allison 5 speed auto in a vette. Very cool and could never hook up but it was the coolest thing ive ever seen. Hear that big ol turbo and diesel growl coming out of the vette's quad exhaust. Very interesting. Haha gee fella's lets just all go out and put 6.0 powerstrokes in our stangs!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:14 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

You are in error about the 3v engine assembly being forged. The CRANK is forged, but the rods and pistons are not. Here is a link:

http://www.fordtrucksonline.com/ford...gine-specs.htm

This engine is not going to stand up to anything close to the kind of abuse that a forged 4.6L (or 5.4L) assembly from the aftermarket is going to withstand.

The reason this engine assembly is making more power is the 3v head, plain and simple. I have yet to see a single 99-04 setup with a 3v engine assembly. The computer and harness is NOT gonna work with this engine, simply because it has variable cam timing (among other differences). There is no way to control the VCT with your stock 2v computer, so at the best (if it would work at all) you would have to just set the timing and leave it. This will result in either a loss in horsepower or torque (or both).

Trust me guys, if this was a viable swap, people would be doing it. You don't really think everyone would be forking up 2500+ for a forged shortblock assembly if they could buy one direct from ford that would handle the abuse for 1500 bucks do ya? Your not even close to being the first one to think of this, but it just doesn't result in that great of a performance increase.

Even IF you could hack the harness up and get it working, plus your 2v computer, your still stuck with a TRUCK engine. This setup is designed to make maximum horsepower and torque down low for towing etc, besides hauling around a very heavy truck. A 5000 RPM peak power output (and whats the redline?) is NOT a good setup for trying to drag race.

One last thing, keep in mind that all of these numbers are at the FLYWHEEL. It is pretty easy to get a 4.6L 2v engine to make 300 flywheel horsepower and 350 Ft/Lbs with just boltons. I was making 255/300 at the TIRE before a tune at just full boltons (exhaust, intake, pulleys). This is 293 hp and 345 ft/lb at the flywheel, and with a tune I am sure I could have passed 300/350. Obviously the same modifications would make more power on a 3v mustang engine, but we are back to the problems of install and acutally getting the mustang 3v compared to the truck one.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:56 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

if you wanted to dump in a cobra engine... could you just gank a cobra computer from the same year car, and stick it in? or would u be able to tinker with ur reg one?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:03 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

You can get the conversion plates at http://www.reichardracing.com/46to54adapter.php .... they will let ya put the intake on and still clear the hood...
Old 08-28-2006, 04:10 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joshafmil

if you wanted to dump in a cobra engine... could you just gank a cobra computer from the same year car, and stick it in? or would u be able to tinker with ur reg one?
The swap isn't real hard, but I think you still have to replace the wiring harness. I haven't done it though, so I am not 100 percent sure.

Whats with all the motor swap threads lately though? I get the impression that people are thinking that they will save a ton of money and be able to do a cheap motor swap and have boatloads of horsepower. This is not gonna happen. For reference, a new cobra engine assembly with the roots blower is TEN GRAND.

We went to page 2 on the thread here, make sure you read my last post on page 1 (man I hate being the last post on a page). The 5.4L is NOT forged, and it isn't going to be a good idea to swap in a 5.4 truck motor.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:15 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: joshafmil

The swap isn't real hard, but I think you still have to replace the wiring harness. I haven't done it though, so I am not 100 percent sure.

Whats with all the motor swap threads lately though? I get the impression that people are thinking that they will save a ton of money and be able to do a cheap motor swap and have boatloads of horsepower. This is not gonna happen. For reference, a new cobra engine assembly with the roots blower is TEN GRAND.

We went to page 2 on the thread here, make sure you read my last post on page 1 (man I hate being the last post on a page). The 5.4L is NOT forged, and it isn't going to be a good idea to swap in a 5.4 truck motor.
at no point do i think it will be simple or cheap. im going to make my car into a project car that im planning on doing for years. in no way am i going for a cheap cost effective way to gain power. if i was, my car would have nitrous. i want something customized, and unique.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

It just seems like there are a ton of motor swap threads lately. IMO, and its just my opinion, its not worth the massive hassle of doing a motor swap when you don't plan on exceeding the potential of the engine you have.

If you arn't looking for more than about 600 WHP FI, then just stick with the 2v. If you have some sort of problem with FI (a single ride in a FI car would change your mind then you should have bought a LS1

Quick Reply: 5.4 swap