4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ANYBODY WHO KNOWS AIR CONDITIONING

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:34 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Default ANYBODY WHO KNOWS AIR CONDITIONING

OK here's my problem. Not too long ago my '96 GT stopped blowing cold air on the A/C setting. I had it on while I was driving, and all of a sudden the air slowly became warm, and for a few seconds there was a musty/humid odor coming from the air vents, then it went away. Does that sound like an indication that it just needs to be recharged? One thing that is strange about it is that when I turn the temp control **** to A/C, normal or max, it blows the ambient air temp, but there is no power loss like when you normally turn the A/C on when you're driving and you can feel the power draw from the compressor pulley. It doesn't feel like the compressor is pulling at all. Is that normal for a system that needs to be recharged, or does it sound like maybe a compressor problem? I'd like to get some opinions first because I don't want to pay to have it recharged if the problem is elsewhere, and likewise I don't want to pay for an inspection if it just needs to be recharged. Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Stanley
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ANYBODY WHO KNOWS AIR CONDITIONING

It sounds like you might be low on freon. Look at all the fittings and see if they look dirty and oily. You can also look at were the compressor goes together and look for oily marks on it. Those are all signs of leaks. If you have to add freon to the system its because you have a leak.

If the compressor doesn't come on, one thing you can try is to unplug the compressor and get some jumper wires and go from the battery +and- to the plug on the compressor. It should come on. Then see if it starts to work properly. If it does you might have a bad high or low pressure switch. If it doesn't work I would prolly keep looking for leaks.

You will know if the compressor is bad because it will make some really bad noises.

If it doesn't come on with the jumper wires attached the coil behind the cluthces might be bad, but I never saw to many of those.

If you can't find any leaks and it appears everything is working fine, then I would clean all the fittings up real good and put some freon in the system. That way when it leaks out again it will leave some evidence.

Do some of those tests and let me know what you come up with and maybe we can figure it out without you having to go to the dealer. They will stick it to you there, trust me I know.....
Old 06-26-2004, 06:26 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Make sure you get 134A and not the R12. Well unless you have license you cant get R12 anyhow. Go to Autozone and they have a kit to recharge it but it sounds like the compressor is gone if you ask me.

Let us know what the problem is as soon as you find out.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:03 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

I'm going to check it out as soon as my girlfriend gets back with it. From what I've gathered so far I think it's just out of freon, because the compressor clutch won't engage if it's out of freon. I probably have a minor leak somewhere, so I'll buy some freon with red dye and hopefully it will show it's ugly face so I can fix it. [:@] I'll skip over to Autozone and see about getting a recharge kit.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:21 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: USAMuscle
I think it's just out of freon, because the compressor clutch won't engage if it's out of freon. I probably have a minor leak somewhere

I knew that. I dont know why I didnt mention it. Try that first...
Old 06-26-2004, 08:49 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

does it do it onlt one time when you first get going like it cools them blows warm then after that its fine???my wifes 99 is doing that ,,i think shes needs an ets,,,
Old 06-27-2004, 04:04 AM
Stanley
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NOS/MAN

does it do it onlt one time when you first get going like it cools them blows warm then after that its fine???my wifes 99 is doing that ,,i think shes needs an ets,,,

Does it do that while driving normally? If it gets warm during WOT that would be normal. If it does it while just driving normal you have some sort of problem. On the mid '90s town cars and grand marquis they had a problem with the high pressure switch. The way we found it out was while we took one on a test drive we waited for it to start blowing hot, emergency stop on the side of the freeway poped the hood and hit the switch a few times. It then started working and we replaced a lot of them after that. We stopped even bother testing them in most cases, but we did keep a known good switch to use as a test switch.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:34 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Stanley

ORIGINAL: NOS/MAN

Does it do that while driving normally? If it gets warm during WOT that would be normal. If it does it while just driving normal you have some sort of problem.

SAY WHAT????? Mine operates just fine at WOT. What are you talking about???
Old 06-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Stanley
1st Gear Member

The AC compressor is supposed to cut off for a second or two under wot to give the car the little bit of extra power. Newer cars may not do that anymore, but they used to. Its been awhile since I left the dealership, so I don't keep up with things as much.

When I say it shuts off, it really shouldn't be noticeable, but on occasion I have seen it where it was.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:54 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

nope, they must not because mine never does.

Quick Reply: ANYBODY WHO KNOWS AIR CONDITIONING