4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Noob Qesutions For The noob in all of us

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:19 AM
titan2087

Default Noob Qesutions For The noob in all of us

Hey guys i just bought a 2001 Gt 5 speed and just wondering on a few things perhaps you could answer. First off this is the first v-8 iv owned and im comeing from a 2003 dodge dakota 3.9l......(dont laught she was a good truck even if she was slower then hell) But any how i dont have a manuel on the ford and it will be a littel until i can get out there and find me the haynes or chilton service manuel. I understand are cars take 5w 20w oil? is this true it seems a bit thin to me? What weight oil would you recomend (be useing synthetic probely castrol). Also where is the rear end plugs at to check the rear end fluid level? Reason i ask is because i notice its damp running up the drive shaft from the rear end . ( i didnt see 1 when i was under there but didnt really have a good light to accurtly look around?) Next noob qesution where in the hell are the spark plugs lol i looked for a good 10 minutes i couldnt find the distrubeter cap, spark plug wires, or sparkplugs lol are they under the plastic covers? What are some commen failuers these cars have that i should watch out for? And last but not least should these manuel trannys be kind of harsh when you change gears especilyl 2nd then get better as you work you way up? Thanck you for any info given i relalize these qesutions are probelly asked alot so sorry about any repeats but hell only way to learn is ask lol.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:41 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Noob Qesutions For The noob in all of us

Congrats. there is no distributor and you don't have spark plug wires. You have a modular engine and it has "coil on plug" Look next to the injectors taht are attached to the fuel rail. Should say motocraft (?)

That hayes manuel is garbage. If you plan on doing the work yourself your better off getting the one from the ford dealer. Lots of people put 5-20, I prefer to stick to the manufactures recomendation. If I'm thinking correctly...you never unplug the rear end...but that may have been on my truck. The manuel might be a bitch in the winter time...it's fine once it' warm though.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:16 AM
titan2087

Thanks. Ah i see well that solves the spark plug qeustion. Its just like the 4.7 liter that dodge uses as far as the sparkplugs go. And you where correct it does say motorcraft. The haynes manuel is garbage.... sigh thats a shame the 1 i had for my dakota was a pretty good 1 but ill take your word for it. I appreciate the feed back. Oh 1 other qesution im not looking to put to much moeny into the car at this time as far as performance mods but i am looking at getting a exhaust for her. What im lookign for is sometihgn rather loud and deep but also good on performance not that baffeling crap some manufactors like to pack there muffers with.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:30 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Flowmaster 40 series w/ catless H pipe.

JMO but the others sound like ****.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
titan2087

Ya thats what my friend was telling me to go with as well. But about the catless come inspection time wont that screw me? And where can i go to find out if cats are required or not in this state? I live in Va bye the way.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:15 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

I'll second the haynes manual being GARBAGE! Information is missing, out-dated, and worst of all, INCORRECT. What a waste of money, hardly worth the paper it's printed on. (As an example, it doesn't mention a single thing about a coil on plug ignition, it assumes all have coil packs)

The differential fill plug is on the front of the differential, driver's side, right above a little lip that is sitting about mid-way up on the differential... 1/2 inch drive ratchet or breaker bar to get it off, has threadlocker from the factory, and the hole is really shallow, expect to bust a few knuckles trying to get it off, I know I did [:@] If you end up taking the cover off to fill the diff, spend a little and get a cover with a fill plug on the front so it's a bit easier to get to... I know TrickFlow has covers that have this (and a drain plug).

If your state has inspections, you'll need the cats... The only way to sneak by would be to have them skip the visual inspection, and just scan the computer for codes. It'll be all luck on the visual inspection though. If you don't want to worry about it, just get a mid-pipe with a couple of high flow cats, it'll be a lot better than the factory four cats you have.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

just beware if you get the flows they sound great but they do drone,
I have the flows with catted h and about to switch them out cause the drone is giving me a migrane
Gonna go catted x with some slp LMII's hopefully be able to have them on within the next 2-3 weeks=/ stupid rent + bills...

oh and since its used, I'd consider running a can or so of seafoam and cleaning it out a bit
Old 09-14-2006, 08:09 PM
titan2087

Hey thancks for all the good info!! Ya i was planning on running some sea foam threw her, 1s it stops bloddy raining!!! and i can get out there and work on her . Hmm well im not getting the hayens manuel then if its gonna be outdated and missing stuff haha. What manuel do you guys recomend the ford factory service manuel? Any how thancks for all the info iv been driving around latley trying to see if i can find anytihgn wrong with her and so far so good.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

i dont know if anyone answered this for you....

your car has the coil over plug ignition system (COP). there are 8 black cylinders, 1 over each plug, and they sit right next to the injecters which are located under the chrome fuel rail, (with me so far?). these replace the distributor of older engines, and the coil packs of newerish engines. they are real easy to work too, just take off 1 little screw and pull it off.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:16 PM
pr0digal jenius

you have CoP, not plugs, yes....no sense upgrading them unless you boost it.

As for exhaust, I'm a Bassani/Borla/SLP guy myself [that's also in order of highest to lowest price...haha]...and a good set, isntalled, will run you around $6-700 for cat backs, depending on labor costs and your choice of pipes. [I'm opting for LoudMouth II exhaust on mine soon here, since it's cheaper, and isn't too terribly loud/raspy]

oh, and yes 5w20 is rigt....v8's are lower compression than 4 bangers and 6's, so they can run thinner

Quick Reply: Noob Qesutions For The noob in all of us