4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MMR shortblocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Default MMR shortblocks

Hey again,
While surfing I got to Modular Mustang Racing, and I must say thier prices are prettey good, I priced out a 600hp shotblock for $2299 ! They have an aluminun block upgrade for 399 more.

Does any one know any thing about them. Are they reputable or are ther horror stories.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MMR shortblocks

i have the mmr 900 hp shortblock... looks perfect from what i see....
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 AM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

LOL I was just reading another post shortblock vs longblock. You should check it. Shortblock is rotating lower assembly only (no heads) maybe thats why the price is so low
Old 11-13-2006, 08:24 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

MMR cut their teeth on pushrod motors, but they have a good reputation as a quality builder. They are a bit more of a high volume company than say, Livornois or VT. I'd like to buy one of their shortblocks down the road.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:36 AM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

Buy shortblock BS!! Build your own.

When it comes to mod motor, Ive seen a 2v done for under 3 grand. That included forged pistons, crank, aluminum block, fox lake P&P heads, fox lake intake, and a dyno tune. We talking about the whole engine.

You can assemble short block yourself using parts from catalog or dealer, blue print it, and balance it, and have a combination that can withstand just as much horsepower. Basically, you are building an engine, why dont you start from scratch and save money. When building a strocker, yes it can be cheaper to get a kit, but a stock displacement? Come on.

Be careful with aluminum block and aluminum pistons. Aluminum on aluminum produces the greatest amount of friction, thus either the piston or cylinder wall must be coated.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i'm getting the MMR 900HP block too. i got a killer deal that i'm not allowed to tell anyone.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:11 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Armydad

Hey again,
While surfing I got to Modular Mustang Racing, and I must say thier prices are prettey good, I priced out a 600hp shotblock for $2299 ! They have an aluminun block upgrade for 399 more.

Does any one know any thing about them. Are they reputable or are ther horror stories.

Thanks
Once you include the shipping it will cost around $2600 for a block that is standard bore, standard stroke, forged rods and pistons and a cast crank. It will not be percision balanced since they wont have the flywheel and harmonic balancer that you will be using. That shortblock will only handle 550 to 600 rwhp.

I just put one together using my own block for $2600. It is bored .020 over, 3.75 stroker kit, forged rods, pistons and crank. I had it percision balanced with my aluminum flywheel and march dampener. My shortblock can handle 750 rwhp and I can spin it up to 7000 rpms.

If you have a good machine shop in town I would build your own block. For the money you can get a much better block and produce much more hp. But to answer your question MMR is a very good company. I delt with them when I was getting ready for a new shortblock and they have great customer service.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:52 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

MMR is a decent company...i have purchased a few products from them and they have good service. They are dealers over on corral.net so you get a discount if you mention it.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

I f you know someone who
ORIGINAL: shifterdelux

Buy shortblock BS!! Build your own.

When it comes to mod motor, Ive seen a 2v done for under 3 grand. That included forged pistons, crank, aluminum block, fox lake P&P heads, fox lake intake, and a dyno tune. We talking about the whole engine.

You can assemble short block yourself using parts from catalog or dealer, blue print it, and balance it, and have a combination that can withstand just as much horsepower. Basically, you are building an engine, why dont you start from scratch and save money. When building a strocker, yes it can be cheaper to get a kit, but a stock displacement? Come on.

Be careful with aluminum block and aluminum pistons. Aluminum on aluminum produces the greatest amount of friction, thus either the piston or cylinder wall must be coated.

A complete 2v forged bottom end aluminum block with Fox lake ported heads, foxlake intake, blueprinted and balanced for under 3k.

The forged rotating assy alone is $1300-$1500(no crank, $1600-$2000 with a crank), an aluminum block from a junkyard is going to be at least $300, machining is approx 500-1000, so waht do I save piecing it together mysef?

For a few dollars more to have a pro build and WARRANTY the motor is worth it.

There are a lot of long standing members on this site that have gone with bought short blocks, so either you know waaayyy more than they do. or there is a good reason to do this.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:16 PM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

You thinking parts, and labor, and you "calculating" retail costs.

That is not called building engine yourself from scratch. You assembling the engine.

Quick Reply: MMR shortblocks