4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust power gains.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:26 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default exhaust power gains.

Just wondering, which exhaust MIDPIPES (not headers or catback) give the most power gains, either proven from a dyno or something like that.

And does a catback provide any power gains in comparison to just mufflers?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust power gains.

O/R midpipes are proven to give more HP then stock and high flow catted midpipes...
Old 11-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Jskeezy84
2nd Gear Member

im looking at getting an o/r prochamber. ive read that they give the most power. they keep the exhaust gasses hot so they can flow better and the chamber ensures better exhaust balancing for the modular unlike the h pip which at high rpms the exhaust just by passes the h pipe.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:41 PM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

ehhh...i would say that the prochamber just really gives you the better deeper sound, but still a little like an X pipe. The X is the best, but if you really wanna start out right which everyone does wrong and kicks themself in the A$$ later is start out with longtube headers, then get the midpipe which is sooo much cheaper than a regular.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:41 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Oh okay, I did know already about O/R pipes giving more gains than catted, but lets narrow it down: Whats the best pipe for a catted pipe? And what about O/R? Excluding sound for both, just wondering about power.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 11-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

Power and gain wise, you will get the most out of a Prochamber. I explained why in another post, give me a minute and I'll dig it up.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

Prochamber gives you the advantages of an H-pipe - deeper, more rumbly sound, more direct flow - without the normal shortcomings of an H pipe. The crossover in a normal H pipe (like the stocker on your car right now) will stop working when the exhaust gets flowing fast enough; fluid does not move perpendicular to its flow if it's not forced to. In an X pipe this does not happen because the shape of the X - the flow is forced together, but X's tend to give a raspier sound than H's, and can limit flow at the crossover point because it essentially compresses the entire flow down to a choke point.

The Prochamber eliminates all of this by crossing the H with a chamber that forces the flow together without compressing it. This is why the biggest gains, and best reviews, are gotten with a Prochamber.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:38 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thanks, I have a slightly older MAC catback (not black colored) and was wondering about a mid pipe that I should get. I've heard good things about the prochamber. I wonder if the sound is really good, I don't want a pipe thats TOO loud. I think I need cats to pass inspection, those things are damn expensive though. I'm trying to find a catted Prochamber for cheaper price.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

I have a catted Prochamber that I just bought a few months ago. I plan on getting longtubes over the winter, therefore selling the prochamber. If ur still in the market for one in a few months, let me kno...

Quick Reply: exhaust power gains.