4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

considering cobra engine swap in my 99 GT and need help ASAP with questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 AM
miko40til5

Default considering cobra engine swap in my 99 GT and need help ASAP with questions

I have a 99 gt I bought from a friend who he bought from a guy claiming serious mods. It supposibly has a built bottom end and cam but i don't know for sure. It has blue injectors and I thought th 99 GT had orange ones which leads me to believe those are done and it has cold air intake, caster camber plates, cross drilled rotors, headers, C&L upper manifold, B&M timing control. welded subframe conectors, 75mm throttle body, billet ***** and caps, short shifter, 19 inch rims lowering racecraft suspention and full Saleen body kit with remote start and two tvs in the head rests. and supposible some engine tuning and 3,73 gears and there might be some stuff I am forgetting. It is supposed to of had the heads all hooked up too but I am not sure. They do have bad *** BBK aluminum covers on them so could be. It sounds awesome let me tel ya and I have gone 145 in it and still had some room. It had a small oil leak which I checked every so oftem but i stupidly neglected to check it one day and was out whippin some doughnuts and i think i spun a bearing. so I happened to have an extra cobra engine laying around and was considering a swap. it is uncut and with ecu. I bought it before i got the gt because i got a rippin deal on it and figured i would ethier make money on it or get a stang. didn't know i was gonna get such a hooked up gt though and trying to figure out what to do. the guy who sold me the engine said it was a 02 be he doesn't pbviously know **** cause there was no 02 cobra. came with a tranny too and a IRS rear end for sale by the way. I think th IRS didn't come out til 01 so i think that is the year of the engine. It isn't an 03+ cause no SC.

Go with the cobra or rebuild the gt?

think it will be an easy swap?

aNYone know the stats of the 01 cobra engine and is tha t the 5.4L???

Looking to SC

Old 01-23-2007, 02:44 AM
KaMiKaZiPosTMaN

Default RE: considering cobra engine swap in my 99 GT and need help ASAP with questions

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong ...but.....5.4 DOHC engine was only in the "R" code cobra(besides the new shelby)...What you should have there is a 4.6 DOHC engine......like the one found in 03/04 mach 1's....you said a tranny came with the engine...i believe that 01 cobras had 5 speed tranny's but i'm not 100% sure...i couldn't tell you much about the swap..well....because i haven't tried a swap yet...i'm sure the engine will bolt right in...as long as you have the computer that matches the engine you should be ok... i do believe the 01 cobra was rated at 310 horsepower....but then again i'm not 100% sure....i know there is a few people on here that have cobra's...maybe they can give you more specific info...anyway good luck with the swap!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:55 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: considering cobra engine swap in my 99 GT and need help ASAP with questions

The 4.6l DOHC will bolt right into a GT. But you need alot more then just the engine and tranny to make it go. Computer, wiring harness, instrument cluster, key that matches that computer or you will have to tow the car to a dealer and have the key reassignedand PATs.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:31 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

IRS came on the 99 and up Cobra. And the Cobra Motor is the 4.6L DOHC

Put the Cobra motor in. sell the good stuff off the 2V and put it toward a SC for the Cobra Motor.
How much for the IRS?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 AM
miko40til5

I have the computer from the same Cobra the engine came out of and the trans is a five speed, i'm almost positive. I didn't even think of the gauge cluster or key but i have the harness. I want to go Super Charged, do you think I should ditch all my current mods and start over with the cobra engine? I don't know if it is worth it to switch to the cobra. does the cobra have a return line in 01 because i think the new ones don't and tha t would be a problem iF the 01 doesn't have a return because don't the 99 gt's run a return line fuel system. I wqould like to be in the relm of 600+ HP's. I am pulling that much out of my Accord.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:28 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Your not going to get 600 out of a stock 99-01 cobra motor. They have a forged crank but the rods and the pistons are the same as the gt.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: miko40til5

I have the computer from the same Cobra the engine came out of and the trans is a five speed, i'm almost positive. I didn't even think of the gauge cluster or key but i have the harness. I want to go Super Charged, do you think I should ditch all my current mods and start over with the cobra engine? I don't know if it is worth it to switch to the cobra. does the cobra have a return line in 01 because i think the new ones don't and tha t would be a problem iF the 01 doesn't have a return because don't the 99 gt's run a return line fuel system. I wqould like to be in the relm of 600+ HP's. I am pulling that much out of my Accord.

[sm=bs.gif]
Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

As stated above the IRS started in 99. If it's the stock transmission its a t-45 5 speed. Cobras were rated at 320hp in 99/01 though the 99 models were overrated.

Its a direct swap if you have all of the parts. It will bolt right in. Along with the complete motor, intake to oil pan with accessories, you will need throttle and cruise cables, exhaust manifolds and wiring harnesses. If youve got all of the stuff ready to go, by all means do the swap and part out the GT stuff to make some money back.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

[sm=bs.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=forgetit.gif][sm=lame.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 01-24-2007, 01:40 PM
miko40til5

This topic isn't lame!!!!!!! This is the most important topic of my life! My car! I had a 93 tru saleen stolen for me in TJ (whole nother story) but since I got this replica, it is like a dream come true. then the bearing spun and now I am a man without a sick car. I could just cry. I was just wondering if I sould go to the cobra motor and if it would be worth starting all over again. I thought the 2001Cobra engine I have was going to hopefully be a more rigid block but it seems to be the same. I like the cobra heads but is that worth ditching my already bored and stroked GT block. Seems like maybe i should built the cobra block with forged internal and low compression to accomidate boost. I just was looking for a definate answer from someone who really know the diffrence in the potentials of both blocks. I have searched up and down and have not found a concrete answer. And what did you want a pic of because i have several. Of the engines or what my car lools like? The car looks bad to the bone and the engine is awsome looking and the cobra engine looks like a stock 2001 cobra engine with all accessories and intake and throttle body and exhaust manifolds and uncut harness w/ computer. It came out of a running cobra.

I was hoping the 2001 Cobra block might be able to handle enough boost to get me around 666 HP as is. but do you think it can get there with a not to expensive of a biuld.

Do I start over with the cobra motor? I need an expert answer here.

Quick Reply: considering cobra engine swap in my 99 GT and need help ASAP with questions