4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How To: IAC Rev Mod (Fixing the hanging RPMs)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Vukov

so i did this mod and it friggin awesome! totaly works and idle was not effected only thing is you WILL have more backfire i had some to begin with so it was a tad more i might end up putting a bigger hole in the copper piece (put 1/4 inch hole) depending how much it bugs me or doesn't overtime.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM
SecludedGT

Images not showing up for this or is it just me? Hate to post on something this old but Im trying to do this mod and this is the only write up ive been able to find.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:50 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by SecludedGT
Images not showing up for this or is it just me? Hate to post on something this old but Im trying to do this mod and this is the only write up ive been able to find.
Use a 1/2" copper pipe cap as described in this post; it does the same thing and is a lot less hassle than playing around with gaskets and sheet metal plates...
Old 10-05-2013, 04:55 PM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

My car idle hangs a bit, but I'm hesitant to do this because my car idles kind of low when im at a stop and in gear, at about 550. I imagine that doing this would cause my car to shut off since there would be less air going into the engine?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Grey-03-GT

you must adjust the idle screw higher now
Old 10-06-2013, 08:16 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Grey-03-GT
you must adjust the idle screw higher now
There is no "idle screw"--here is how to adjust the preset for the throttle stop screw...
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

Jeez I love this forum, I can't wait to try this trick, I'll hit the hardware store for the copper cap on the way to work tomorrow.

Cliff, you're the man, now dump that Mercedes and come back home to Mustang Land where you truly belong.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Grey-03-GT

There is no "idle screw"--here is how to adjust the preset for the throttle stop screw...
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 AM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

Whatever it is, how does one move that screw since its just threads. I wish it was an idle adjuster because my car idles kinda low while in gear and stopped.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Grey-03-GT
idle screw...throttle stop screw....same screw dude lol
It is not the same thing, as the screw in question's function is not to control or set the idle; that is the PCM's job, using the IAC and ignition timing.

The throttle stop screw sets the position of the throttle plate when "closed" so that a certain fixed amount of air "beeds" passed the throttle plate. Properly set this is about 0.44 lb/m of air¹--not enough air to support idle. The PCM then opens the Idle Air Control valve, ideally to about 35 to 40% of fully open, to maintain the idle speed set in the tune.

In fact a better way to set the stop screw is to monitor the duty cycle of the IAC control signal and adjust the screw until the d/c is in the 35 to 40% range. It is NOT an idle adjustment screw and it should not be used as one.

Idle speed is set in the tune and the PCM will do all it can (again, using the IAC and ignition timing) to maintain that idle speed regardless of the stop screw's setting. Because of this if the stop screw is not properly adjusted all sorts of idle problems can occur.

If too far open too much air will bleed passed the plate and the PCM will not be able to reduce idle speed as needed (engine speed will hang between shifts, backfiring on throttle cut, etc.), even if it closes the IAC; the AFR at idle can go quite lean if far too much air is passing through the TB at closed throttle.

Too little bleed air and the PCM will not be able to add enough air, via the IAC, to increase idle speed when additional engine load is added (such as the AC, generator, p/s pump).

-------------------------------------------------------------
¹ - This value is set in the tune, usually labeled Air Flow Through Throttle Body. The PCM needs to know this value, and the stop screw need to be adjusted so that the actual flow is near this value, so that it can better control AFR at idle where the MAF output is not very precise.

Quick Reply: How To: IAC Rev Mod (Fixing the hanging RPMs)