4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What gears? How can I increase my MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:34 AM
ownage9

Default What gears? How can I increase my MPG?

I have a almost stock automatic 96 gt... and I rarely drive on the highway. Hardly ever. What gears would give me the most takeoff from the line? The fastest 0-60 I guess. 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10s? After I get the rear end, should I get like a shift kit or a chip or wouldn't that matter alot? In other words, is there anything that complements a rear end gear that is almost necessary to make the gears perform top notch?

Also, I only get like 12-13 miles a gallon, why the hecks my gas mileage sooo low? Anything I can buy to make me get better MPG?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:14 AM
97STANG
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What gears? How can I increase my MPG?

Get 4.10's. I love mine, especially if you hardly drive on the e way. Also look into a shift kit. I bought my trans go reprogramming kit off ebay for like 100 bucks shipped. It made a world of a differance. I can grab second good and get a baby chirp outa 3rd. And you proly get horrible gas milage because your foot is always in the carpet because of the horrible rearend gear ratio you have.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:19 AM
97STANG
2nd Gear Member

i forgot to mention to ya also, I think I am getting better gas milage with the 4.10's around town. I am not giving it as much throttle as before. only thing that sucks is that my speedo is off 10 mph[:@]
Old 10-21-2004, 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: ownage9
Also, I only get like 12-13 miles a gallon, why the hecks my gas mileage sooo low? Anything I can buy to make me get better MPG?
Good GOD!

Dude... forget about gears, take the car to Ford and get that poor motor a damn tune up. No way in hell it should be that low.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ownage9

Just like I said before,go to Autozone or Advance and get the car checked for codes.With that old of a car expect plugs and wires.How many miles?If you never go out on the highway then that is part of the problem.In town driving is VERY hard on a car.I would either take the car on a 3 or 4 hour trip at highway speeds or have the fuel system professionally cleaned.When driven in town with a lot of shutdown-start cycles gasoline leaves deposits on the injectors and on the backs of the intake valves.I also causes deposits behind the throttle blade in the throttle body,you can feel this by removing the intake pipe and sticking your finger in behind the blade. This is probably what is causing the hard start condition in your other post.Put some fuel system cleaner in the tank and take the girlfriend out for a leafpeeper tour this weekend and you probably will notice a difference.Also about the tire pressure,you probably have nails or screws in 'em.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:00 PM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

Damn man i like that sig!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:33 PM
1{}D{}{V}{}DGT
2nd Gear Member

get 4:10s
Old 10-22-2004, 02:23 AM
AirForce2004
2nd Gear Member

I put 4.10's in mine... and I'm almost regretting it. I plan on supercharging very soon as well as....NAWS!!! I barely get traction now as it is... the car is fast for now though if you dont planning on a quick launch. 1st gear bites but the rest are just really really fun. Gas did go down a bit.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:29 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

I get about 10mpg, but thats what it says I should get in the manual for a 5.0. Anyways, what does a shift kit do? I never bothered to ask, what is it?
Old 10-22-2004, 05:30 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

my mileage got better with the 4.10s.

I'm positive it's because I'm not in the gas nearly as hard now.

Quick Reply: What gears? How can I increase my MPG?