4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Changing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
ghstintheshell
1st Gear Member

Default Changing coolant

i am currently changing the coolant in my car, was looking for any tips or advise on the process. Also, since the Hayes manual is absolute garbage, can anyone shed some light on how they would go about flushing the system? I wasthing of taking off the upper piping and flushing the radiator from top to bottom. I was also told to drain the engine and the radiator, fill it with water and run it
Old 03-15-2007, 04:06 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Changing coolant

Its pretty easy. I would take the fill cap off first. Jack the car up as high as you can get it and disconnect the LOWER hose. All the dirt settles to the bottom-most part of the system which is where the lower hose connects. When it pops off its gonna come pretty quick so watch out.

Never refill it with only water. Always put antifreeze in with it. Refill it then run it for a while. The car will gurgle more down the longer it runs.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:12 PM
ghstintheshell
1st Gear Member

Thanks! Appreciate the advise
Old 03-15-2007, 04:41 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

Its pretty easy. I would take the fill cap off first. Jack the car up as high as you can get it and disconnect the LOWER hose. All the dirt settles to the bottom-most part of the system which is where the lower hose connects. When it pops off its gonna come pretty quick so watch out.

Never refill it with only water. Always put antifreeze in with it. Refill it then run it for a while. The car will gurgle more down the longer it runs.
You DO NOT NEED to take the lower hose off!!! There is a white plastic plug on the passenger side bottm of the radiator. It is a large fitting maybe 11/16" or so. This plug only unscrews but does not remove! There is a small **** hole port just in front of that where the coolant runs out of. Just unscrew the fitting and it will drain out ogf the plug. Be sure to take your radiator cap off. This method does not get all of the coolant out of the system. Some does remain in the heater core. The only way to remove everything is to have the system flushed by a mechanic, but this will drin everything out of the heads and radiator! It will take roughly an hour to completely drain out since the hole is very small, but this makes life easiest! Just did mine without getting dirty. AND I didn't have to jack the car up. It is kinda hard to find for the first time if you don't but it's there!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:42 PM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

Go get the chiltons manual.. its MUCH better!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

You DO NOT NEED to take the lower hose off!!! There is a white plastic plug on the passenger side bottm of the radiator. It is a large fitting maybe 11/16" or so. This plug only unscrews but does not remove! There is a small **** hole port just in front of that where the coolant runs out of. Just unscrew the fitting and it will drain out ogf the plug. Be sure to take your radiator cap off. This method does not get all of the coolant out of the system. Some does remain in the heater core. The only way to remove everything is to have the system flushed by a mechanic, but this will drin everything out of the heads and radiator! It will take roughly an hour to completely drain out since the hole is very small, but this makes life easiest! Just did mine without getting dirty. AND I didn't have to jack the car up. It is kinda hard to find for the first time if you don't but it's there!!!
Yes you could do that but like you said it takes forever to do. The lower hose takes minutes at the most and you are filling it back up.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

What year is the car? You may not want to use ghetto Glycol Green antifreeze! Use either Prestone Yellow long life or DEXCOOL red extended life fluid.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
bullitt15
2nd Gear Member

do not use dexcool. ford recemends not to use it. it eats plastic. gm has a lot of gasket problems from using this coolant. plus its expensive. use green or yellow. if your car has red stuff in it change it to green. it will work fine as long as you flush all the red out.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

I used the Prestone Extended Life in a yellow jug that shows on the front sticker that the fluid is yellow like Fords stock stuff. When I poured it out into the car it was a very watery light green. I've ran it hard about 7,500 miles and its been great. Screw the DEXCOOL like bullitt said and go with either Motorcraft Premium Gold or Prestone Extended Life.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 PM
ghstintheshell
1st Gear Member

The white plastic screw worked fine, however, i flushed the car four times, twice i used the screw cap, twice i disconnected the lower hose. I used Prestone, light green(makes me thirsty!)

Quick Reply: Changing coolant