4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mac catback...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:36 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mac catback...

ORIGINAL: Furinox

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

Ya thats who ill be going through... Someone said they are throatier than flows? Is that true?
Yeah, they seem to have a little more ***** than flows if you ask me. It's close but flows always seem to have a tinny sound to me that the Mac doesn't have. I think you'd like them.

ORIGINAL: rainydayracing

I know that mac isn't stainless, but does the coating prevent rusting?
Mac parts are stainless if you buy them stainless, they just give you an option and too many people are cheap so most stores just stock the aluminized coated pipes. However yes, the coating does prevent rusting... to an extent. Depending on the conditions you drive your car in regularly, a non-stainless exhaust may last you anywhere from a few years to maybe up to ten years if you rarely drive it in the rain. My car is a DD and I don't like being cheap so I just put up a little more now and got the stainless version and wont have to worry about exhaust on this car again.
The rsuting that you have to be worried about is from the inside out. Water(condensation from exhaust heat) sits inside of chambered mufflers and eats its way through(the aluminized ones).
Partly, yes, but if you drive it on rain it will obviously get wet there as well, and worse, salt and snow. That eats away fast. That's why they put the coating on the outside to protect against that stuff but as you say, there's no coating inside to protect the inside of the pipes from condensation. I'd just prefer not to have to put my exhaust on with white gloves and be scared to ever scrape the bottom of my car because it would scratch off the coating.

But that's why I say it depends. Salt can eat away at those cheap pipes fast and they'll be done in just a few years, lots of rain but no salt and they'll last a little longer, but they'll always eventually rust from the water inside. Get stainless and the pipes will last longer than your car.

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Who has em' in stock??
https://mustangforums.com/m_2885871/tm.htm
Old 03-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Well how loud is mac catback compared to flows when it comes to loudness and deepness? Anyone have a clip of the mac catback with an X pipe?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

I think ima go ahead and order it.... I get the 2.5" system and not the 3" right?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

yea they have stainless.

i am running there stainless steel catback, quality is very good. sound is amazing. click the link in my sig for a video.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:49 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

yea they have stainless.

i am running there stainless steel catback, quality is very good. sound is amazing. click the link in my sig for a video.
Where did you get the stainless mac system? I've looked on summit & american muscle and have never seen an entire stainless mac system (just tips).
Old 03-20-2007, 04:55 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

yea they have stainless.

Where did you get the stainless mac system? I've looked on summit & american muscle and have never seen an entire stainless mac system (just tips).
macs website.

i am very happy with my catback choice. but they drone out alot, so beware. and best of all, my mac catback is damn LOUD.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:55 PM
JT76

What happened to the stingers? U change ur mind as often as i change my socks.........and before you ask, the exhaust will be done this weekend
Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanggang1892

What happened to the stingers? U change ur mind as often as i change my socks.........and before you ask, the exhaust will be done this weekend
Ya i would go with the stingers but i am afraid that paired with the o/r X they will be high pitched and pop too much! Will it? Lol hurry up with that!

I would probably get an o/r H and LTs to go with the stingers but that will be way down the road.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:08 PM
JT76

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

ORIGINAL: stanggang1892

Ya i would go with the stingers but i am afraid that paired with the o/r X they will be high pitched and pop too much! Will it? Lol hurry up with that!

I would probably get an o/r H and LTs to go with the stingers but that will be way down the road.
I had an X with the stingers as you know, my was catted tho, but it never "popped" my friend has the Steeda catback (which is made by borla, so same thing) paired with an SLP O/R X and it sounds good, almost the same as mine, just louder, no popping....im not a fan of MAC or SLP catbacks, my personal pref is Borla and then Magnaflow Magnapacks, but thats just my .02
Old 03-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

So even with the X its deep as poo?

Quick Reply: Mac catback...