4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

steering wheel shaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:06 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: steering wheel shaking

while youre replacing your rotors, id upgrade the brakes while you there. or at least get a caliber paint kit
Old 03-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Fine99
1st Gear Member

Warped rotors, for sure. Take them to a local auto parts store that turns rotors. It costs about $7 per rotor here in MO. That will take the shake out. Go ahead and replace the pads while you have the calipers off, too. It's real easy.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

Did you just beef up your tire size? I just put 295s and 275s on and when i am slowing i notice this as well... so that could be it.
No, upping tire size won't cause this, however, Improper torquing of your lugnuts will induce a good amount of rotor hat warping, thus giving you a "pulsating," sensation when braking..

Another thing to check is balljoints, but my guess is slowing down from highway speeds is warped rotors..

JT
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

Another warped rotor vote here.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 AM
NORMAN99
2nd Gear Member

I beefed up my tire size and brake sys. Just beefing up tire size should not cause the shakes unless your wheel balancing is off. If your rotors end up looking good then i would have an alignment check.

04miner,
Nice guts!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:55 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NORMAN99

I beefed up my tire size and brake sys. Just beefing up tire size should not cause the shakes unless your wheel balancing is off. If your rotors end up looking good then i would have an alignment check.

04miner,
Nice guts!!!!
Unless there is shaking at high speeds when NOT braking then it couldnt really be alignment or wheel balancing, same goes for bearings, if it ONLY shakes durning braking it is a warped rotor! or 2..... they may be able to be turned.... but very probably you will need to replace them! Someone posted that if the wheel lug nuts were not "touqued" properly it will warp the rotor???? I have never heard of this! As long as the wheel is on straight and tight proper "torquing" should not be an issue! if the wheel is on crooked or not tight it will wobble and come off LONG before any damage to a rotor will occur!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
marcm94
1st Gear Member

Over torque of lug nuts account for over 50% of rotor warping. If lugs are too tight the rotor expands while hot and excess pressure on the lug will distort the area in contact with the wheel while it cools. This is the reason that torque specs for wheels are so important.
If you ever go to a reputable tire shop, they use a torque wrench or torgue stick to tighten wheels. This elliminates the possiblity that the tire shop could warp your rotor and then be responsible for repairs.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:04 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

Unless there is shaking at high speeds when NOT braking then it couldnt really be alignment or wheel balancing, same goes for bearings, if it ONLY shakes durning braking it is a warped rotor! or 2..... they may be able to be turned.... but very probably you will need to replace them! Someone posted that if the wheel lug nuts were not "touqued" properly it will warp the rotor???? I have never heard of this! As long as the wheel is on straight and tight proper "torquing" should not be an issue! if the wheel is on crooked or not tight it will wobble and come off LONG before any damage to a rotor will occur!
You better start reading your books a little better... First off, it's not about wheel to hub alignment, since your lugs do that already.. Secondly, just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's not true.. I've fixed endless brakes where folks just threw the tire on and crank down the lugs at different intervals, not in a star shape, forget to RE-TORQUE the lugs after the car is put back on the ground (one of the biggest contributors to incorrect wheel lug torque thus leading to warping of rotors, cracking of wheel hub, stripping/breaking of lugs, etc..)

I could go on all day of how important it is to use proper torque on ALL hardware on your car, unless it's tapered fit or torque to yield..

Hell, even a bad strut/shock could cause a little shaking during braking, but the fact that we're on the internet, trying to diagnose a problem, w/o actually seeing, feeling or being in the presence of the faulty part, we can only use judgement based on our prior experience coupled w/ the fact that a warped rotor is one of the biggest causes for shimmy/shaking/pulsating during braking..

JT
Old 03-21-2007, 04:55 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcm94

Over torque of lug nuts account for over 50% of rotor warping. If lugs are too tight the rotor expands while hot and excess pressure on the lug will distort the area in contact with the wheel while it cools. This is the reason that torque specs for wheels are so important.
If you ever go to a reputable tire shop, they use a torque wrench or torgue stick to tighten wheels. This elliminates the possiblity that the tire shop could warp your rotor and then be responsible for repairs.
I stand corrected! I have never had this problem... I have always properly torqued my wheels down on all my cars! Ya learn something new everyday! But that is why we are here no? To givesome learning and do some learning!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

I'll pay the $15 to have my rotor turned once every three years, than the time it would take to use a tq. wrench on all my lug nuts.

Star pattern FTW/

Quick Reply: steering wheel shaking