4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW inner dust boot question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default MGW inner dust boot question...

Okay so my shifter is coming today and I ordered it with the MGW inner dust boot. Basically I cut the first the first rib in the center of my STOCK shifter, and then take that and put it over my new MGW shifter., then on TOP of that again I put the MGW inner dust boot cover? They have directions on ther site : http://mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter_inner_dust_boot.shtml , but I just wanted to double check with those who installed theirs to make sure that's right.

Also did the inner boot help at all with noise levels?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW inner dust boot question...

ttt
Old 03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

Yeah, it helps with the noise level, and it sounds like you have the right idea, just follow the directions that come with it. Its easy, took me like 10 minutes or less.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i DIDNT have to CUT anything, basicaly if i remember correctly i put the mgw shift boot over the stock boot.

ALSO make sure you transfer the little black ball thingy from the bottom of the stock shifter to the mgw, this is important!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

i DIDNT have to CUT anything, basicaly if i remember correctly i put the mgw shift boot over the stock boot.

ALSO make sure you transfer the little black ball thingy from the bottom of the stock shifter to the mgw, this is important!
He is talking about the dust boot that goes over the MGW shifter, You have to cut out the inner ring on the rubber dust boot with the metal bracket to properly install the MGW dustboot that goes over the shifter. But yeah just follow the directions and you will be fine.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:38 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

He is talking about the dust boot that goes over the MGW shifter, You have to cut out the inner ring on the rubber dust boot with the metal bracket to properly install the MGW dustboot that goes over the shifter. But yeah just follow the directions and you will be fine.
i know..........i didnt cut anything........ works fine for me
Old 03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

Thats all that matters then!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:44 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Thats all that matters then!
indeed

wheres jay..... did he get this sucker on yet?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

I'm here dude! hehe. I came home for lunch and I'm looking at the MGW right now. The instructions seem to be pretty good and it came with everything I need. I'm glad I got the inner dust boot. I still have to go back to work, I figure wait until my day is over before I start this incase I screw up or it takes forever.

I know for our cars we have to remove the stops on the MGW. But does the stock shifter have some I remove and put on the MGW? Or should I not have any shift stops at all? This part I am not completely sure.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

what little black thingie?

Quick Reply: MGW inner dust boot question...