4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Crank pulley bolt- How do I remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:22 PM
xander0561
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Crank pulley bolt- How do I remove it?

ORIGINAL: BuzzCut

ORIGINAL: BAD FN GT

Guys, the tools aren't the @#$%ing problem! The crank was spinning and the puller wouldn't work! READ!!!!!!
Actually if you would have scrolled up and reread the first post it was just that the pulley was turning. NO mention of a puller problem. So maybe you ought to READ!!!!
OK OK guys, listen I had the same problem when I did my PI swap, I put the car in gear and I ended up moving the car. Then I put the parking brake on and I still moved the car. Then I took a very big open end wrench and put it in the Universal joint and I held it as my friend turned on the bolt and that didnt work. SO , what I came to relise and it worked is that you have to heat the bolt up. I used one of those hand held torches from home depot. I think it was around 20$ The problem is that from the factory the bolt is glued/sealed/cemented in there. When you heat it up the glue lets go.

Then you can use your PULLER to take the PULLEY off.[8D]

should work out for ya.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:58 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xander0561

Guys, the tools aren't the @#$%ing problem! The crank was spinning and the puller wouldn't work! READ!!!!!!
Actually if you would have scrolled up and reread the first post it was just that the pulley was turning. NO mention of a puller problem. So maybe you ought to READ!!!!
OK OK guys, listen I had the same problem when I did my PI swap, I put the car in gear and I ended up moving the car. Then I put the parking brake on and I still moved the car. Then I took a very big open end wrench and put it in the Universal joint and I held it as my friend turned on the bolt and that didnt work. SO , what I came to relise and it worked is that you have to heat the bolt up. I used one of those hand held torches from home depot. I think it was around 20$ The problem is that from the factory the bolt is glued/sealed/cemented in there. When you heat it up the glue lets go.

should work out for ya.
Don't do this it's very dangerous. When you heat the bolt up it'll heat the crank up. It is possible to heat the crank up too much and damage the bearings. My friend made this mistake and as soon as he started his car it was knocking due to the main bearing closest to the balancer damaged due to heat. The right way is to use a impact gun.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:26 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Yes, the original post asked if he should stick a screwdriver in the pulley's holes. No, those holes are for the bolts on the pulley puller. Yes, it is the tools because the right ones aren't being used.

Use a pulley puller (buy or rent, both ways are cheap) and use any wrench. Leverage is required with hand tools or just use air tools FTW.

I read the post and this is the best answer for the question being asked.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
xander0561
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

ORIGINAL: xander0561

should work out for ya.
Don't do this it's very dangerous. When you heat the bolt up it'll heat the crank up. It is possible to heat the crank up too much and damage the bearings. My friend made this mistake and as soon as he started his car it was knocking due to the main bearing closest to the balancer damaged due to heat. The right way is to use a impact gun.
I guess I should have told you that I didnt have to heat it that much maybe 12 sec. Just hot enough to get the glue loose. But ^^^^that is very true you can heat it up toooooo much and screw up alot of things like catching on fire lol or messing up the bearings. You just need alittle bit of heat. Thats just my opinion.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I dont think he is asking about the pully puller. I dont think he can get to that point. I think what he is saying is that he can not get the crank bolt out because when he trys to turn the bolt the whole crank turns. If that is the case then he needs to do what I said above that is how I always get them off.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:05 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

I give up....
Old 04-17-2007, 03:09 PM
xander0561
3rd Gear Member

I give up....
dido....
Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

Best and right way is using an impact gun, if you cant get access to one then try using the biggest ratchet or wrench you can get in there, grab the biggest hammer (sledge hammer prefered) and smack the snot out of theratchet or wrench. This might work but most likely, you will need an impact gun. Can have your friend hold the alternator with the belt on for more support but even if the pulley spins, keep smacking it and you might win the battle. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Lol funny thread...

As mentioned, Impact gun FTW to take the bolt off and pulley puller to remove the pulley. If the tools are not the problem then there's your answer. There are other ways the bolt and pulley can be taken out but that is easiest, safest way without risk of damage or injury. <--period

Old 04-17-2007, 08:49 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Lol funny thread...

As mentioned, Impact gun FTW to take the bolt off and pulley puller to remove the pulley. If the tools are not the problem then there's your answer. There are other ways the bolt and pulley can be taken out but that is easiest, safest way without risk of damage or injury. <--period

+1

You have to undo the dumb coolant tank, pull the fan off, and stick an impact wrench on there. Let me ask this if you can get it off without it how do you plan on gettin it tight enough when you put it back on. You need an Impact wrench a hand tightend crank pulley isnt safe IMO

Quick Reply: Crank pulley bolt- How do I remove it?