4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trying to fix the P1443 Code, I have done a few of the basics

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
97WHITEVENOM
1st Gear Member

Default Trying to fix the P1443 Code, I have done a few of the basics

So I bought this car from the dealer a week ago. After two days of owning it the CEL came on. Had it checked at Autozone and of course it was the
P1443 code. I looked at the service stuff that the dealer had done, oil, tranny fluid,... vapor system error.. so it says they bought the canister purge vavle (for $105, lol). I checked under the hood and the valve looks new, so I will assume they actually did change it. So I filled her up with gas and tightened down the gas cap(3 clicks). I disconnected the battery last night and guess what... check engine light came back on after warm-up. I didnt have the code read yet, but I am going to assume it is the P1443 agian. So what do you guys think I should do/check next? Replace the canister purge sensor? Gas cap?

-Update: I had the code read again last night and I got two codes, both P1443.
I also purchased another gas cap and disconnected the battery... and the CEL came on again today.

I talked to the dealer today and they said that the mechanic did change either the purge valve and/or purge sensor, changed the Idle Air Control, and they also did a smoke test (I guess to check for vac leaks between the purge valve and the intake).

Any ideas on what to do/check next?
The dealer told me to bring it back and they would take care of it. The only thing is the dealer is over an hour away, and they are the ones who couldnt fix it in the first place.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to fix the P1443 Code, I have done a few of the basics

https://mustangforums.com/m_3144914/...tm.htm#3146481

Already explained it to you... That is the only piece that you need, called a canister purge valve... I bought mine from www.rockauto.com and it's only $17....
Old 05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
97WHITEVENOM
1st Gear Member

I appreciate the help, but that part was already changed. Unless it went bad already (~ 1 month)
Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Are you postive they changed that one.. or could they have changed this one...

because I know when I went into the parts store they had both under the same name...
But I went through your trouble... I changed the carbon canister/and this piece above, and still had the light on... Then went with the other one and that fixed my problem..
Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Rebornmust_owner

I work for a dealership and if I sold a car that had a check engine light that came on shortly after I sold it, I would have it fixed. If they are a Ford delaer they have an obligation to you as a consumer to fix it.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:21 PM
97WHITEVENOM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

Are you postive they changed that one.. or could they have changed this one...

because I know when I went into the parts store they had both under the same name...
But I went through your trouble... I changed the carbon canister/and this piece above, and still had the light on... Then went with the other one and that fixed my problem..
I will find out positively which one they changed tomorrow and I will let you know. I appreciate the help. I did realize that they list them as the same part, it gets really confusing. The one in your post that I quoted is the casiter purge valve/solenoid, not the purge sensor, right?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM
97WHITEVENOM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rebornmust_owner

I work for a dealership and if I sold a car that had a check engine light that came on shortly after I sold it, I would have it fixed. If they are a Ford delaer they have an obligation to you as a consumer to fix it.
They are not a ford dealer, just a used car dealership. Like I said, he said they would fix it... but they are a good drive away from me. I kinda want the dealer to do it as aposed to my mechanic, so incase down the road something goes wrong, the dealer cant say.. "well you had it fixed somewhere else so were not standing behind it". You know what I mean?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:26 PM
1hotdrp
3rd Gear Member

dam im be pissed and take it back even if its 1hour away and make them pay you for gas. thats bs
Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

Already explained it to you... That is the only piece that you need, called a canister purge valve... I bought mine from www.rockauto.com and it's only $17....
Where is the canister purge valve on the 97 (mine's a cobra but i'm assuming its in the same place as the GT)? I got the CEL with this code one the drive home from buying it from a private seller. I wanted to drive all the way back and smack him in the mouth. I've been putting it off till the emissions notice comes, and it came. Dam. I already replace the PCV valve on the drivers side valve cove, but that didnt do it. Anyway, thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:30 AM
97WHITEVENOM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uofipilot

Where is the canister purge valve on the 97 (mine's a cobra but i'm assuming its in the same place as the GT)? I got the CEL with this code one the drive home from buying it from a private seller. I wanted to drive all the way back and smack him in the mouth. I've been putting it off till the emissions notice comes, and it came. Dam. I already replace the PCV valve on the drivers side valve cove, but that didnt do it. Anyway, thanks.
I dont think this code has anything to do with the PVC. It has to do with the charcol canister, purge valve, vac hoses... etc

Quick Reply: Trying to fix the P1443 Code, I have done a few of the basics