4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Newbie that needs help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 08:37 PM
WhiteMagic

Default Newbie that needs help

heres the thing I want a loud sound a great performance out of an exhaust...and I've heard alot about how running strait pipes with no cats is good for what I'm looking for which is performance and sound....but theres somethings that I dont understand like......what r cats exactly?? and how would not having them help??....and where can u get strait pipes??....and could a place like Midas stick em on for me? and remove the cats if thats what I decide to do in the end??</P>

I kno I'm askin alot of questions but if someone out there can help me out I'd REALLY appreciate it.....thanks guys</P>
Old 08-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Okay, with straight pipes - you will not be able to talk to anyone while driving. If you have emissions...removing your cats is illegal and is a federal offense.

BUT, 2084324 people do it, and I don't see anybody going to federal prison for it If you don't want to attract the cops, and do everything legally, yet have a loud *** car & great flow numbers, go with an aftermarket exhaust.

Bassani
Magnaflow
Flowmaster
Dynomax
SLP

Those are names of the most popular exhaust systems for our cars.

Chances are, Midas won't do any of that work for you. If you decide to go that route with straight pipes, go with an x-pipe in place with the cats and it'll improve the flow dramatically. You're better off trying a locally owned, non-franchine exhaust shop if you plan on having any illegal or questionable work done.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:45 PM
Mustang88LXKid
3rd Gear Member

don't remove your cats dude....bad idea....
Old 08-21-2003, 11:15 PM
allblack
2nd Gear Member

yea i agree youl like it for the first week then hate it after that. get a basani x pipe
Old 08-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Redline5th
3rd Gear Member

lol
Old 08-22-2003, 01:54 AM
Buzzstang
4th Gear Member

drop the cats and go with the off-road h or x-pipe with a some nice mufflers like magna flow or flowmasters.</P>
Old 08-22-2003, 04:02 AM
WhiteMagic

whats the differance between an X pipe and an off road X pipe????</P>

And Bassani has an complete exhaust system for the 03 GT would that b a good choice???? in both performance and soud ...cuz I heard that the Bassani muffler quites things down.</P>

And I heard also something about back pressure when u have strait pipes?? is that true and if so what does the back pressure do??</P>

</P>
Old 08-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Zcpeanut
2nd Gear Member

x pipe has cats, offroad x pipe doesnt. get the bassani x pipe then go with flowmaster 40 series mufflers, thatll louden things up but you could still here each other, dont go with strait pipes, thats just obnoxiously loud..<FONT size=1> <U>change ur signature</U></FONT>
Old 08-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Buzzstang
4th Gear Member

i hear straight pipes every day with all of the high school boys and their farm trucks. one boy has flowmasters on his and they think that he is god.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Peck666

What your friend was talking about as far as back pressure goes with straight pipes is a lack off. An engine needs a certain amount of back pressure. Otherwise it will drop a valve... that's why you don't want to run open shorty headers... not enough back pressure. And before someone eats my *** for implying that shorty headers flow better than long tube headers, that's not what I'm saying. Straight pipes will decrease back pressure, but not enough to cause problems. Ran straight pipes with just glass packs off of a 460 ci Ford big block and I had no problems. But I suggest a nice mellow sound at idle and nice loud roar at high rpm... like with dynamax... or bassani.

Quick Reply: Newbie that needs help