4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

spark plug gap..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 PM
ramkid12

Default spark plug gap..

i am going to change the plugs on my 96 mustang gt what is the gap and whats a good plug to use its completely stock with over 100k on it

also i know a mass air flow sensor and maybe some o2 sensors would help the milage out a little anything else and what ones are good ones to buy?

thanks
Old 07-16-2007, 09:39 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

Default RE: spark plug gap..

the spark plug gap spec should be printed on the emissions sticker under the hood
Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 PM
^iLLuSiOn^
2nd Gear Member

on a stock car i would just but motorcraft, and i believe stock gap is .54
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

You don't need to replace your MAF and O2 sensors just because of mileage. I would replace your plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, check your serp belt and tensioner, and service all of your fluids (trans, rear diff, and coolant) And as far as which brand to buy for the plugs and wires, go Motorcraft or go home. I put those crap you get at Advanced andmy car was missing an hour later. I switched to Motorcraft plugs and wires and it's been running good ever since and that was about 2 years ago... Oh yeah, and the spark plug gap is .054", but I think Ford pre-gaps the plugs. Ask the parts guy if they do and if not, just buy a gapping tool, I think they're like 2 dollars.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

You don't need to replace your MAF and O2 sensors just because of mileage. I would replace your plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, check your serp belt and tensioner, and service all of your fluids (trans, rear diff, and coolant) And as far as which brand to buy for the plugs and wires, go Motorcraft or go home. I put those crap you get at Advanced andmy car was missing an hour later. I switched to Motorcraft plugs and wires and it's been running good ever since and that was about 2 years ago... Oh yeah, and the spark plug gap is .054", but I think Ford pre-gaps the plugs. Ask the parts guy if they do and if not, just buy a gapping tool, I think they're like 2 dollars.
Normal operational life span of the O2's are 30-50K Miles.

NGK > Motorcraft plugs

ALWAYS Gap the plugs yourself.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:22 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

NGK > Motorcraft plugs

If they aren't bad there is no reason to replace them. that's just wasting money ... Why use NGK's on a stock car? Use the plugs that Ford designed to use with that engine... If they're already gapped, why do it again? You could damage the plug. I know Chrysler's plugs come pre-gapped and nobody in my shop gaps them again.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

NGK > Motorcraft plugs

If they aren't bad there is no reason to replace them. that's just wasting money ... Why use NGK's on a stock car? Use the plugs that Ford designed to use with that engine... If they're already gapped, why do it again? You could damage the plug. I know Chrysler's plugs come pre-gapped and nobody in my shop gaps them again.
At 100k plus miles, the O2's may not have failed but I'll guarantee you they are no longer accurately reading the exhaust gases.

Why not use NGK's on a stock car? You can pick up a set for about, (if not cheaper), than the Motorcrafts.

Never, ever trust a pre-gaped plug. If at the very least, double check the gap yourself.

***This is just my opinion, but if you can't gap a plug without damaging it, you have no buisness changing your own plugs.***
Old 07-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

O2's don't do a whole hell of a lot anyways except keep the check engine light off. If you have the money and want to feel like you've done something then think of it as preventative maint. If you have the money now, you might not when they go bad. As for gapping plugs, I work at Advance Auto and every time I sell plugs to someone I pull each and every plug out of the box and recheck the gap. They are right about 70 percent of the time. Problem is, the differences are within the same case so "you never know what your gonna get". Pardon the "Gump"!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The front sensors are essential to the PCM's maintaining proper fuel trim in closed loop mode, as they age (and their average output drops) the mix will become progressively richer. 30k to 50k is what the folks that make and install them would like you to believe is their service life--however by 80k to 100k changing them will generally make an improvement in idle and other closed loop operating characteristics, and fual economy.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 AM
bt1288
3rd Gear Member

Autolite plugs at .054.

Quick Reply: spark plug gap..